real time web analytics
Report - - Hose (Long Clawson) Tunnel - Leicestershire | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hose (Long Clawson) Tunnel - Leicestershire

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Tunnel Gricer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hose (Long Clawson) Tunnel 834yds - Great Northern Railway.

Brief History- Hose Tunnel was located just to the south of Long Clawson Station, and officially went under the name of Hose, Long Clawson provided its pseudonym. From the north, the line approached via a curve to the east of 40 chains radius which extended a short distance into the tunnel. Thereafter it followed a straight course before another curve of an identical radius was introduced just inside its southern entrance. The gradient throughout was 1:120, climbing towards Melton.
Benton & Woodiwiss - regular servants of the Great Northern Railway - were appointed as construction conctractors. The heading, measuring 10 feet high and 9 feet wide, was driven from two shafts, the more northerly being the deepest at 106 feet. The other measured 86 feet. Both were sealed and backfilled once construction work was completed. Two other shafts were sunk just clear of the proposed entrances to expediate work on the approach cuttings, although it appears that the north portal was eventually erected about 40 yards north of the shaft at that end.
The tunnel is lined throughout in red brick although short sections of masonry sidewall are apparent - presumably later repairs. Two of these face each other near the tunnel's centre, across an open catchpit. Another, inserted in the east wall close to the northern entrance, is badly spalled. Deep refuges are provided at both sides. The north portal is hugely impressive, looking like it was built yesterday. It exhibits seven rings of brick and a headwall in blue brindles. The wing walls, buttresses, parapet, string course and copings are all stone, with the former aligned parallel with the trackbed. At the south end, masonry was used for the string course and copings; the rest is engineering brick. Here, the wing walls are set at right angles to the railway. A mechanical gong was fixed to the Up sidewall, 34 yards from the northern entrance. This was used for signalling trains during shunting operations at Long Clawson. A telephone to the signal box there - with wires running through the tunnel - was located in front of the watchman's hut on the Down side, 120 yards beyond the south portal. Regular passenger services along the route were never well patronised and ceased on 7th December 1953. Goods traffic was more successful, continuing to encounter Hose Tunnel until the section through it was closed on 7th September 1964. A meandering line from Wycombe Junction to Asfordby Colliery - which passed over the southern half of the tunnel - was jettisoned in 1963. - Taken from the Forgotten Relics Website.

A brief insight into the explore... We’d already visited two other tunnels in the area these being East Norton & Ingarsby Tunnels and decided to visit Hose Tunnel as we were “In the Area” fairly easy to located using track maps parked in a lay-by on Landyke Lane close to the village of Holwell this layby is on top of the old trackbed and walking north in the cutting which has seen some infilling we reached the southern Portal of Hose Tunnel or at least what’s still visble... not a great deal to say about the tunnel northern section is filled with endless rotting chicken coops.. there’s a nicely painted ghost type figure in one of the refuges, It’s extremely dry inside the northern Portal is quite impressive so interesting colours depending on the light, we noted lots of numbering painted on the walls (see image) no idea what they are reference too so answers on a postcard?! Decent selection of refuges and a copy of stone patches in the otherwise brick constructed tunnel. Anyhow I’ll let you look through the pics they’ll describe the place better than I can! Enjoy and feel free to comment...

Early March 2020.

Thanks For looking

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Is this just great camera work and some light or do you have some amazing lamp? One that doesnt give a weird colour out (I suspect both).
Im a total noob in tunnels but the few I've done I couldn't get a fraction of the distance you have.
I know some of these cameras have amazing night vision but your pics don't even have the pink hue around the edges.
I'm one of those phone camera guys but youve inspired me to play with the settings on it.
Nice one.

Tunnel Gricer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Is this just great camera work and some light or do you have some amazing lamp? One that doesnt give a weird colour out (I suspect both).
Im a total noob in tunnels but the few I've done I couldn't get a fraction of the distance you have.
I know some of these cameras have amazing night vision but your pics don't even have the pink hue around the edges.
I'm one of those phone camera guys but youve inspired me to play with the settings on it.
Nice one.
Well... I use a Nikon D810 normally with a F2.8 24-70mm lens probably abit stupid really as it’d be an expense day if I ever broke it... anyway I’ve got it set up on the tripod normally 30 Second exposure, F7.1 and ISO100 I do vary these but for the general tunnrl shots that’s what I tend to use, I’ve got a fair few torches however only ever use two / three per explore as I’ve always got a second person while the group to assist with lighting, the regular torches are an 8000 lumen & 6000 lumen for the first 40/50ft of distance and for the rest 20,000 lumen got it off amazon cheap too really surprised me how good it turned out to be the others are from Decathlon, hope that’s not too complicated and helps you

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
So you use a few torches turned on at the same time? One lights the foreground and another lights the background?
I didnt think of that for some reason lol.

Eddiek

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good photo's. I didn't realise there was a tunnel on Landyke Lane, despite living locally and passing through here on numerous occasions. I shall have to have a look when lockdown has finished..

Tunnel Gricer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good photo's. I didn't realise there was a tunnel on Landyke Lane, despite living locally and passing through here on numerous occasions. I shall have to have a look when lockdown has finished..
It can’t be seen but it’s there I can assure you

Who has read this thread (Total: 207) View details