real time web analytics
Report - - hosey mine, Kent - july 2014 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - hosey mine, Kent - july 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

woody1112

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
very nice little limestone mine in kent, unfortunately it has been backfilled in most places to leave about three foot headroom, which means a lot of crawling\ducking as you make your way round, not really that photogenic and it suffers from a bit of mist in places

The mines at Hosey Common, Westerham are believed to date from the 17th century but little is known of their history at present. Again, they produced building stone and this was used for Westerham Church. They lie on the side of a shallow valley and the area is now heavily wooded. Four separate sets of workings have been identified and it is believed that more exist but are inaccessible due to roof falls. The mines were worked on the pillar and stall principle and the original passages were up to 7ft high by 8ft wide. Transport underground was by sledges and excavation in the floor has revealed sledge marks with a gauge of 14.5ins.

At some time in the past, however, the passages were backfilled with waste rock and this has only left a gap of a few feet. It is believed that this was carried out at a time when the price for the stone dropped drastically and the only economical way of working was to extract the best quality stone only. This meant that a great deal of poorer quality rock was no longer required and it was more convenient to stack it in abandoned passages rather than carry it out of the mine.
These mines have suffered several roof falls in the past and they are a maze of passages so exploration by inexperienced persons is not recommended.

14899519218_af58f6687b_c.jpg

15083091911_f30b1fd61c_c.jpg

15085775422_7bf3c1aede_c.jpg

15085751172_cfc92d615d_c.jpg

14899557997_a30b2c4ccd_c.jpg

14899560127_047cece966_c.jpg

14899565207_c067c19db5_c.jpg

14899571587_ae5854dbe1_c.jpg

thanks for looking

Last edited:

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Re: hosey mine - july 2014

Looks a good one to me mate!Mines are always nice to get round!

Hidinginplanesite

Khurbanx
28DL Full Member
nice report ! I was just gooogling these mines and this popped up ⬆️ so sorry for being up an old thread !

Iv was told about these last year , and been looking into the mines recently !

there so much alone in tbis area ! And the wood all around here is so lovely too

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My Old Boy used to play in those as a kid on his way home from Hosey School during the war. Chelsea Spelio have some surveys of the quarry somewhere online. I suspect the Westerham Society will have more information

Hidinginplanesite

Khurbanx
28DL Full Member
, and been looking into the mines recently !

i hope that was meant to be funny :D
[/QUOTE]

Aha I got back into my underground stuff and mines more so than tunnels ever since I don’t FDQ, box and swan lol !

but I was reading into these ones and other ones in the surrounding area!

my wording well yeah .. leave at that I stuggle to word things lol

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Aha I got back into my underground stuff and mines more so than tunnels ever since I don’t FDQ, box and swan lol !

but I was reading into these ones and other ones in the surrounding area!

my wording well yeah .. leave at that I stuggle to word things lol
[/QUOTE]

It was quite a good quip really I thought

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I visited these mines in 2009, still have this picture looking back towards the entrance.