real time web analytics
Report - - Hougham Battery Dressing station, Dover - December '15 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hougham Battery Dressing station, Dover - December '15

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

the126

Reckless & irresponsible
28DL Full Member
This was the last stop on a day out in Dover back in December, after seeing Obscurity's and Wickerman's great reports I had to go and see the place for myself! After scrambling around in the bushes (whilst it rained hard and was dark) we finally found the way in but didnt have long to spend here so my photos were all a bit rushed, I keep meaning to go back again but I've no idea what the current state of access is.

Hougham battery was built in 1941, had 3 concrete emplacements each with an 8" naval gun and magazines underneath. The Dressing station was built underground in the same style as other Dover deep shelters except this one had a very long inclined entrance at quite a shallow angle, probably for easier access for casualties. One of the other two steeper entrances had steps and also a smooth concrete ramp (maybe also for hoisting stretchers up and down).
Some of the site was buried using spoil from an aborted cross channel tunnel attemptin the 70's. The road has been widened a lot over the years so this has encroached on the site too. The gun positions are gone but the odd magazine is accessible, as are the observation post, plotting room and other surface buildings but they are on the other side of the very busy road.
The main tunnel was the most impressive feature here, it was dead straight and not far off 100 metres long!

inclined entrance tunnel
IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

Main tunnel
IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg