Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - House in Lane End, Chapeltown, Yorkshire | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - House in Lane End, Chapeltown, Yorkshire

Parysperspective

A peach, a nice welcoming peach
28DL Full Member
There’s a house near Staindrop lodge that’s abandoned with a driveway with it’s own “mini roundabout”. I’ve had it on my list for a few months so I can’t remember how I found it.. I think a house (converted into maybe a employment centre, if I recall correctly) nextdoor was empty too but at the time I looked there wasn’t any access to the latter. Then I noticed the building Im posting about.

I wondered if anyone had any info on it? Like the name of the place, if it was a house or something commercial, if anyone’s explored it under a nickname or if it had a building name, etc. I think it’s number 250 Lane End, from what I can tell from google maps. And a quoted google search of the exact address weirdly comes up with nothing but the location. So I would assume it’s got a name as well as a number but more commonly as the name?

Parysperspective

28DL Full Member
thanks to your bit of info it looks at its was a day centre at some point. Ryefield Lodge.

I think the place has a planning permission doc. It states it as “Chapeltown Centre (formerly Lane End House, Children’s Home)”. https://studylib.net/doc/7053824/land-at-220-to-230-lane-end--chapeltown--s35-2uz

so it seems like it’s been abandoned a while. Someone must’ve done it. But now I know the names I can have a hunt. Thanks.

tarkovsky

xtal
Regular User
thanks to your bit of info it looks at its was a day centre at some point. Ryefield Lodge.

I think the place has a planning permission doc. It states it as “Chapeltown Centre (formerly Lane End House, Children’s Home)”. https://studylib.net/doc/7053824/land-at-220-to-230-lane-end--chapeltown--s35-2uz

so it seems like it’s been abandoned a while. Someone must’ve done it. But now I know the names I can have a hunt. Thanks.
Ah yes, Chapeltown centre rings a bell too.

Steven Jackson

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah yes, Chapeltown centre rings a bell too.
Hi I'm new on here , just looking around and saw the post on lane end house , I lived there from 1955 to 1969 when it was a children's home, think it shut as a children's home 10 years after I left and was then a education centre, went back there to see if it was still running but was all shut up and was for sale with KIER who does all the work for Sheffield council, went walking round lane end yesterday and yep still had nothing done to it, such a shame lots of memories there good and bad . There was a bit on planning from2013 to put houses on the land but looks like it never happened, if by any chance you hear or know anyone who lived there please feel free to pass it on as I've been trying for 30 years to find anyone who was there when I was. Ok then thanks for your time , Steve

Parysperspective

28DL Full Member
Have you tried posting in Sheffield Forums? Theres posts on there from people looking to reconnect from the past from work/ children homes/ schools/ etc.

I’m going to see if there is any access at some point. Getting into the grounds is easy, it’s if there’s access to the building itself.

Parysperspective

28DL Full Member
Oh, all around! I know there’s one facing the gate nearer the hotel. The entrance kind of nearer the pub would be the better snd easier way in, but has that side got cameras too?

Steven Jackson

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi, must be over 5 years ago when i walk up the main entrance next to gate house, I got to walk infront of house and all way up to the end of garden, they were cameras at the main front entrance, the last time i was there about 2 years ago all the gates had then been chained and padlocked.

Parysperspective

28DL Full Member
It’s super easy to get into the grounds. Hopefully the cameras are old or someone has given up on them. I’ll try to see if there is access in the next few weeks.

Did you gain access into the building when you went @Steven Jackson ? If so was it decent? (Albeit a couple of years ago)

Steven Jackson

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Only went in the house over 15 years ago when it was been use as a education centre, been shut now over 10years ago so never had no interest in going in only if it was developed so then I could look round to see how it looked.

The Truth...

28DL Member
28DL Member
I don’t know why people want to go into that place it should have been knocked down years ago....

Awful things used to happen there when it was a Children’s Home....

It was worst than a remand home children there where treated terrible many grew up with many difficulties because of the treatment they received by the so called Auntys and Uncles that’s what they called those that were in charge...

Worst of all of them was the Matron who would rule those children with fear...

There was a member of the staff back in 1976 who reported the mistreatment of children to the authorities but she was quickly silence...

That place has a lot of secrets some buried deep !!!!!!

Parysperspective

28DL Full Member
Wow. Sounds horrific.
I think last time I checked it was getting cleared around it and things had changed. Building still abandoned at the time (few months back) but didn’t look worth it so I took the pin off.