real time web analytics
House of Mosaics, Bulbourne Road, Tring - April 2013 | Yorrick | 28DaysLater.co.uk

House of Mosaics, Bulbourne Road, Tring - April 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
A solo visit on a sunny day.

Built in 1877 and operated as a farm until around 1985.

In 1988 it changed hands and over the next twelve years twenty planning applications were submitted including “erection of a 2 storey and single storey extensionâ€￾ and “conversion of barn and building C to residential useâ€￾. The last application for development was submitted in 2001. It was approved.

The owner appears to have been made insolvent in 2004.

A few years after that the building appears to have been abandoned and it suffered an arson attack to the upper floor in 2009, and a lot of subsequent weather damage.

In 2012 permission was granted to demolish the farm and build 2 new houses on the site.

After spending nearly 10 minutes at the front door, listening-to-what-must-surely-be-people-upstairs, I grew a very small pair and stepped inside. I quickly realised the noise was last night’s rain pouring through the building….and all over me.

I thought the mosaics and panelling had previously been reported as “oldâ€￾, but there’s lots of plasterboard behind the panelling and modern concrete blocks in the pool construction. I think all of this was fitted in the early nineties.

Also the Dutch barn has a stack of high quality pre-made wall panels and flat pack furniture in it, still wrapped in the original polythene wrapping.

The main room

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

The entrance hall.

8.jpg

9.jpg

Boxes of tesserae. Previous reports show a lot more boxes.

10.jpg

The fish pond(?) With modern concrete blocks up the back.

11.jpg

12.jpg

Piles of pre-made panels

13.jpg

14.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Long gone I think. Always hated this DP codename. It was Gamnel Farm it's first 250 years!