real time web analytics
Report - - Hove Edge Quarry, November 2010 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hove Edge Quarry, November 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

nij

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ok, here goes.

The history on this place isn't very easy to come across, but I have strived my best.

The quarry itself dates back to the mid 1800, although I cannot confirm this, I think they also were stone masons there (certainly for the later part of its life). It has been used for landfill, whether this was the quarry owner making a 'quick buck' or fly tippers (although there is evidence of recent fly tipping).
Owners and tenants of the quarry have included
Solomon Marshall [18??]
Ramsden, Chadwick & Company [1896]
O. & S. Cliffe [1881]

There was a stone/monument masons, that was opened on the site in 1957, I assume from the construction that the building was built for this, and not a existing building adapted for their use. There are further buildings that look older, which I think will have been for the quarry.
The last company to utilise the site was a builders and roofing merchants and contractors, when these closed it isn't known (not a limited company or any other searchable listing), but I think from the age of the 'show stand' and other artefacts that are here and there about 10-15 years ago.

a4.jpg

a2.jpg

a1.jpg

a.jpg

heq.jpg

heq1.jpg

heq2.jpg

heq3.jpg

heq4.jpg

heq5.jpg

heq6.jpg

heq7.jpg