real time web analytics
Question - - How does this site actually work? | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - How does this site actually work?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lost851

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm new here but been exploring for about a year. I'm abit confused on how this all works. I've seen a few comments from people moaning that an exact location hasn't been included and they say the rules here are that you share the exact location. Is it just jealousy?

Well the whole experience of exploring for me is the research into finding a new place, scouting it out and the excitement of jumping a wall to discover this place you spotted is actually abandoned.

It seems people just sign up here to let the minority of researchers find the good places and them ask them for locations.
I've been exploring on my own for about a year now and have found endless locations without the help of anyone but my own research.

Am I just in the wrong place? Would you lot call me selfish??
Don't get me wrong I shared the name of my first report but i might not want to give away all my locations. Maybe not just yet anyway.

I initially signed up looking to meet some people to go out exploring with so if your from oxford hit me up

Am I on the wrong website? Tell me where to go if your one big trusting happy family.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
It’s fairly simple - if you have a location you don’t want to share the details of nobody is forcing you to share it until you are happy. It’s not a liking contest afterall.

It takes people minutes to find a codenamed site - meaning it’s pointless really.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
The site works on trust really. People use the site to find locations as well as just enjoying seeing what other people are doing. Everyone starts somewhere so it's a good resource as well as the opportunity to meet folk in your area or share similar interests in types of explores.

We do ask for the name of location, area (ie town or city) and the month year of the explore, that's the site rules so if you don't like don't post. However code names for places don't work, can be found in minutes and the exploring world these days seams leakier than Worzel Gummidge's wellies so if you don't want people to know again don't post or ask for the location to be moved to non-public if you think it may be sensitive / worth keeping out of the spot light. However a lot of places explored have been done many times before and posted on other exploring forums, Instagram, Flickr, YouTube to name a few so very rare the information is not already out there for people to find, after all how did you find the location in the first place, people do just stop too when driving by if it can be seen from a road. I've even seen one from a plane when landing at an airport.

Enjoy the site, use the resources, hopefully get some reports up, gain some trust and people will then be willing to meet up and share information. It is a great site if you don't take the piss and constantly ask for location details and access :thumb

Lost851

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
To be honest with you I literally spend hours and hours looking over Google maps. Hands down the best way to find places if you have time to waste lol

Ok fair enough if that's the site rules, I dont disagree was just curious really. As I said I get alot of enjoyment out of finding the places myself but we're all different.

I won't be asking for locations or access that's where all the fun is at for me haha

I'm on Instagram and youtube and all that. But I do have about 5 places that I haven't found reported anywhere. No vandalism or graffiti. I don't want to be that guy who puts out a location for everyone to go and ruin it. But I also want people to enjoy it. Im pretty sure i have a couple of legit undiscovered derelict builidngs but its that trust thing your talking about I suppose. I have found a very rare ww2 building in Some woods near to me. An accidental find on the walk to another location. Only one other of these have been posted online anywhere and to the military explorers alot of them don't want the location shared as it is a rare untouched ww2 find. So this particular one most probably won't get reported but maybe I'll post some i dont think have been explored much in the future when I'm done and bored with them hahaa

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
There's a non-public section of the forum as well for more sensitive sites
If you have somewhere which you feel shouldn't be shared in public then contact a member of the admin team and discuss it with them

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Yeh. That's one of the main things really. What you see as a new member is only a fraction of what's on here and doesn't usually include many 'current' explores. To get access to the 'higher' levels of the forum you have to share the places you find and in turn you are rewarded with a chance to go to go see the stuff everyone else finds. If we didn't do it that way places would just end up with 100s of people turning up at them the day after they were posted. The system we run is a way of ensuring that people contribute in return for using the site as an urbex shopping list.

If you find most of your explores off your own back you will fit in well. We ask for everything to be named properly for many reasons. For one so people can find places to go visit themselves. For two to help discourage people posting sensitive sites in public thinking that if they don't share it's name no one will be able to work out where it is (most of the time not the case). It also makes for a much more interesting reading when you can include full details of a place, where it is, what it was etc. The history and story of places is important. Dont forget we also like to make our work avalible to the public as a way to 'give somthing back' to the world. Otherwise we would just be selfish trespassers causing hassle purely for our own gain.