Web
Analytics
Report - - Huge Fire at Horncliffe Mansion, Edenfield - August 2019 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Huge Fire at Horncliffe Mansion, Edenfield - August 2019

theurbexgroup

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Attachments

Nuttie

28DL Member
28DL Member
Would people really do that
All to often . Strip them out , cause water damage, burn them down. After being refused planning to rebuild. It's strange that building can sit empty for years and nature demolishes them if no one wants to develop on land.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Would people really do that
Ah the naiveties of youth (at least I assume you are fairly young).

Its amazing how well soggy rotten wood can burn sometimes, just look at Cane Hill's admin. Backfired on them though that one.

Baggy trousers

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I posted that up on the Facebook group the other night. They've probably done it a favour to be honest the place was rotten and would have probably fallen down eventually anyways. It's a shame tho as it was a nice building.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Developers leaving a listed building unprotected is criminal in itself. So however it started, it shouldnt have.

DJMILL28

28DL Member
28DL Member
Only visited the place for the 1sr time 24/7/19 and then again just a week before the fire. All the graffiti and blue paint had been cleaned off the front exterior walls and it looked like finally sinebidy was going to be giving it the attention it truly deserved then it's the subject of this horrendous fire. It must of been started deliberately as it was in a rotten state and so weather damaged on top of previously fire damaged and continuous vandalism. May sound synical but it was almost like it had been left wide open ad there weren't various ways to fain easy entry. It's one way around the whole 'listed building' block stopping any new developments from happening as the mansion sits on such an ideal and vast stretch of land with beautiful scenery surrounding it. So glad got to see it before the fire on Wednesday eve.

Dazzlers125

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah the naiveties of youth (at least I assume you are fairly young).

Its amazing how well soggy rotten wood can burn sometimes, just look at Cane Hill's admin. Backfired on them though that one.
How did it backfire? They are building homes on that one arnt they?

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
How did it backfire? They are building homes on that one arnt they?
The admin building is a listed structure and after their thinly veiled 'fire started by youths' gutted the building presumably with the intention of getting the listing pulled and permission to demolish it granted, they were told they still had to use it in the development and totally restore it.