real time web analytics
General - - Hull docks - Lord line area | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Hull docks - Lord line area

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jaws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I am planning to visit the old docks to get some shots of the Lord Line and surrounding buildings in the next few weeks, but I will have to walk and it takes quite a while. Does anyone know if it is open enough to gain access, or has it been sealed up? The last time I visited was in the summer.

jaws

The Stig

Urbex = Nosey Bastard
28DL Full Member
Access for every building in the UK comes and goes and changes all the time. It's an open area to walk round freely which you done already, there also always fishermen fishing there too.
So being new to the site, just couple of tips, never give dates as/when your thinking of going, this is an open forum, every Tom, Dock and Harry can view this without being a member, even security firms, local pickeys, police etc can view too (which alot of security firms do anyway)
Also being a newbie a lot of members will not share access information with you. Also like I said, being a open forum, we not post access info up at all.
So basically I would say, just go for a walk, take your camera and take whatever pictures you like, if there is access then great news but dont get your hopes up as a lot of times it might be a no go .

jaws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi thanks for the info. I did not realise. If I get round to going then you'll see a post up sometime soon :)

littlemidge83

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi, I was there last weekend. I didn't venture in as I was with my dad, step mum and siblings but I have a blog online where I posted some photos which might give you an idea of the state it's in if that helps? There were a couple of fishermen down there when I was there, but they were over by the memorial. I believe the owners say they have secured the bottom, but Hull council beg to differ.

I can't remember if I'm allowed to post links to my site on here, because I haven't logged into my account in a while, just looked on from a distance, but if you're interested, please PM me or reply here or something and I'll happily give you the link. It's not an urban exploration blog but does touch on it occasionally if you look back through.

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member
It took me a long time to walk there too. But, surely that's the whole point of exploring isn't it??
If you want an easy ride, chat up some sailors to give you sure fire access along the Humber :thumb

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
4 years a member and 1 post Epic stuf, can't wait for the next one :tumbleweed

Be careful down at Lord Line those are not ordinary Fishermen, they're actually secret Secca due to the high value in the buildings and to preserve the ornate woodwork of the Boardroom for future generations ;)

Bonus is you don't have far to go for a Chinese buffet if you take your whole family exploring with you , in case you need your hand holding ......I imagine :D

On a serious note beware of the lower sections especially the fire damaged parts (if you get in) and take a good Torch. And the access tends to disappear when your inside :eek:

littlemidge83

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
4 years a member and 1 post Epic stuf, can't wait for the next one :tumbleweed

Haha! I hear ya! I had an account which I even posted a report on about 5 or 6 years ago, and then somehow that got deleted and I had to start again, and somehow, because I don't always comment, I just pop in, it's like a clean slate every time I start again and says I have no posts! This building is pretty close to the heart for my family though as my grandad went out on the trawlers and my dad did his apprenticeship there. I'm in talks with some groups who are campaigning to save it and I suggested to one lady that you are all a very supportive community when it comes to preserving old buildings.

Out of curiosity, where is the best place to post things like that on this forum? Or is it not a good place. Sorry to hijack thread with a question!

urblex

28DL Maverick
28DL Full Member
Out of curiosity, where is the best place to post things like that on this forum? Or is it not a good place. Sorry to hijack thread with a question!

May be wrong but think 'general chat' would be the best place for it :)

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
To save it ?:eek:

It"s a bit bloody late for that mate TBH That Horse has long since bolted and been made into lasagne ;)

Demo was already underway last Sept/Oct & some of the outer buildings has already gone and what"s left is 99% completely trashed &/or burnt out. All the board rooms & wood decor etc are long gone.Nothing left except the building itself.

The main interest is the Lord Line stonework while the main building still supports it...for now

littlemidge83

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well I think they're aware of the state it's in now, but no-one wants to see it totally demolished and continually trashed and decayed further because the owners have left it like that so long. A lot of men lost their lives on the trawlers and this is a place full of memories for the locals. I would love to help them raise the profile and with their campaign. I think it would make my dad and grandad proud.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the silly questions in the wrong place!

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member
Well I think they're aware of the state it's in now, but no-one wants to see it totally demolished and continually trashed and decayed further because the owners have left it like that so long. A lot of men lost their lives on the trawlers and this is a place full of memories for the locals. I would love to help them raise the profile and with their campaign. I think it would make my dad and grandad proud.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the silly questions in the wrong place!

No silly questions from you mate, obviously you are pasionate about what remains there and yes it is an historical area. I hope you find a way forward :thumb

BoB Brewer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi littlemidge83. I am vice chairman of a FB group called ACTION FOR HULL GROUP and we are actively campaigning to try to both save and restore the Lord Line building. There are issues with the fact that the owner of the building does not own the land surrounding it. Any help from you and other members would be much appreciated. Why don't you join our group.

littlemidge83

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hiya, I'm already in your group and so is my dad! Being down in London, it's hard for me to get too involved sometimes, but I keep a close eye on things. Thanks!

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Seriously now if anyone in Hull actually cared it would not have got into the state it has. The very fact most of the buildings were demolished to build a PC world and Chinese buffet speaks volumes. I've spent a lot of time in Hull and most of the people there are of a generation that barely remember the fishing industry, so I don't think people really care to be honest.
The site was special when it was a mix of buildings from different eras making up the fabric of the dock side.

Yes ok Lord Line is cool cos it was built to look like a ship... But come on now it's going to take more than a facebook group to save that sad relic of a building!!

And that's the attitude of someone who really cares about industrial architecture!

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
I agree with dweeb to some extent, I do think its going to take so much more than a FB petition to save the Lord line building as very few folk in Hull seem to care about the maritime history of the city.

However much of the blame should be placed in the hands of Manor property group who own the building. The pattern of buying, planning, proposing redevelopment and then leaving to rot and ruin seems to be apparent.

The exact same thing seems to be the case with the old Fez/Heaven and Hell night club and quite a few other buildings in their ownership.

This is purely an observation as I know nothing about the company or their financial position but its a shame its allowed to happen as Hull is seeing a fair bit of redevelopment right now.

Regardless, all the best to Bob Brewer and I hope it makes even a small difference.