real time web analytics
Report - - Hulme Flume, Manchester - May 14 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hulme Flume, Manchester - May 14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I had last visited the Hulme Flume with TheVicar back in 2009. Our kit had been upgraded since then so we went back for another look at Manchester's foremost sewer overflow.

The heavy lid was somehow popped using a tiny key and with the customary odd look from passing cars we descended. We worked our way upstream and came to the main overflow with the fledgling Outfall B sewer.

14148890101_a583be55d2_b.jpg

Looking upstream the confluence of the Work 4 and 10 sewers could just be made out.

14172272623_4fbe6a08e8_b.jpg

13965569330_d1501b3d09_b.jpg

Not far down the overflow culvert a side pipe connected in which led to the Outfall A overflow chamber.

13965570008_7a1398aec8_b.jpg

13965543327_955b3abaaa_b.jpg

14172274453_b462a0db1f_b.jpg

Further down the culvert was another side pipe to a smaller overflow. The air had been bad in here last visit but thankfully was all good this time. The interceptor came from the City Centre (and the likes of Hulme Flume's Little Brother) and goes onto join Outfall A further downstream.

14152225215_9602e0dc09_c.jpg

We walked down to the sump and found nothing had changed before heading back. It had just started to rain again as we emerged into the night.

A few more photos and words here.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
It won't be long before the outfall setup changes, I hopped into that compound last month and they're well on with huge screening chamber/detention system

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Outstanding shots as always CJ!

Hulme Flume's one of my all time favourites.
Was great to get back down there after so long. :)

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Haha yes I hadn't really noticed, contrasts the first time I went where none had people!

Last edited:

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member
These are ace, even the miss liked these! I think that having someone in the pics gives a sense of perspective.

m9

big in japan
Regular User
Manchester classic. Always found it really difficult to take pictures in here, you've absolutely nailed it!

Stopford_lad

foul-mouthed oaf
28DL Full Member
after an aborted visit thanks to the local curtain twitchers, it's nice to see the scale of this place...shots are ace as ever :thumb

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cheers guys.

@Stopford_lad - I've had similar experiences around Hulme too, guess they're especially wary of people acting strangely in the middle of the night.