real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Hulme Hippodrome, Sep17 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Hulme Hippodrome, Sep17

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Always fancied the look of this place. Scoped it out a few times to no avail.

A quick message off @Bolts about an article in the MEN and we were off.

said article:http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...nside-hulme-hippodrome-how-squatters-13562709

The people squatting in there were very friendly, let us in and pretty much have free roam of the place. They're hoping to get the cafe up and running and to hold jam nights for the community and to try and save the building from falling apart.

One of the guys there (can see him in the group shot) was telling us a back story about Deya who had it when it was summit to dow with a church. He was performing miracles on infertile women by giving them babies he'd trafficked from Kenya or something along those lines. So the basement was all partitioned out into small rooms where they were kept. Not too sure what the craic is with that lot to be honest.

From what I can find The Beatles, Laurel & Hardy, Nina Simone and George Formby are just some of the acts that have performed here.

I've been lazy and just copied the history from @Lavino 's report from last year.

History

The Hulme Hippodrome, originally known as the Grand Junction Theatre and Floral Hall, opened in Hulme, Manchester, on 7 October 1901. It and the nearby Playhouse Theatre, built at the same time, were part of the theatrical empire of W. H. Broadhead. The two venues were connected by an arcade, at the centre of which was Broadhead's company headquarters.

Initially the theatre staged mainly dramatic productions, while the original Hippodrome presented variety performances, but in 1905 the names and functions of the theatres were interchanged: the Hippodrome became the Grand Junction, and the variety performances were transferred to the new Hippodrome.

The Hippodrome was last used as a theatre in the 1960s; from the mid-1970s until its closure in 1986 it was used as a bingo hall. Since then most of the building has remained empty, and it has been placed on Manchester City Council's Buildings at Risk Register.

The building was bought by Gilbert Deya Ministries in 1999, and they hold services in part of the ground floor, led by pastor John Ezedom.

36834522112_d6e6a21e50_k.jpg

36197410903_a6cf1ca854_k.jpg

37005860905_30c1d7160a_k.jpg

36865274051_c280737b76_k.jpg

36817520996_4ef4e28808_k.jpg

36834434432_b1f120c3ca_k.jpg

37005831655_98e7363ec4_k.jpg

36170048164_0083206757_k.jpg

36197338673_54b320245d_z.jpg

36170052044_09042a9b6a_z.jpg

36197181833_1d57c144da_k.jpg

36608806550_58db7ebdcf_z.jpg

36865218101_ccc6f94caa_z.jpg

Lavino

28DL Full Member
You done a good job there mate, so have the church lot given up on the place.

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Nice one, had a nosey myself today. Friendly enough bunch of fellas. Was nice to see the changing rooms too which were well locked up last time I was in there.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Nice one, had a nosey myself today. Friendly enough bunch of fellas. Was nice to see the changing rooms too which were well locked up last time I was in there.

I missed the changing rooms. wouldn't mind seeing some pics.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
The fire door was broke for a good while a few years back in here, thought more people would have taken advantage back then, rather than wait for a bunch of hippies let them in the front door :p

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
The fire door was broke for a good while a few years back in here, thought more people would have taken advantage back then, rather than wait for a bunch of hippies let them in the front door :p

Haha i know i hate a permission visit :-(

I have tried it a few times but never managed to get in so i was glad to just see it.

Proper hippies tho which was cool

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Are they squatting with some sort of live in/volunteer to tidy the place up or whatever deal ?

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Are they squatting with some sort of live in/volunteer to tidy the place up or whatever deal ?

I'm not too sure fella. They said theyve got a community janitor who looks after the building and he reckons they will be there for 6 years minimum? I don't understand squatting or how it works. It's the same group that were in The Cornerhouse, but they got evicted.

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
nice stuff,
I believe squatters are doing the same with the cinema on Oxford street?