real time web analytics
Report - - Hunger Hill Pumping station, Chesterfield, June 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hunger Hill Pumping station, Chesterfield, June 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I know it's been done plenty of times but this place has always fascinated me for some reason.
After spending ours on Google and looking through old OS maps Id finally located this little place buried in the woods.

Not really an explore so much as a nice walk. It's that overgrown you could walk straight past the place without noticing it especially with the tress in leaf and a thick carpet of ferns and the dreaded himalayas balsan.

There was very little history to be found online.
The only details I could find were from a gripping report titled "The hydrogeology of the Chesterfield Matlock and Mansfield District" As exciting as this geology report was it only briefly mentions the borehole twice (see attached pics). It seems a borehole was sunk and a pumping station constructed in 1924 to supply drinking water, I can't find any info on when it closed.
There are rumours of satanic gatherings and local stories of a hooded figure that haunts an area of the river known as the black pool and the ghosts of a woman and a dog who Wander the place - How long before we see a YouTube video titled "haunted secret bunker pump house in the woods, bones found and we nearly died so called the police - oh and smash the subscribe button"

The pump house sits buried amongst the trees and due to the bore hole still squeezing out water under artesian pressure the area was a bit of a Swamp. The building looks as if its starting to subside and has developed a crack on its left hand side.
The place has a real nice atmosphere and was everything I'd imagined.
Rusting machinery, trickling water, one tasteful piece of graffiti by coloquix, Waterfall and old pipework make this a super little place.
The capped well outside the building did shit me up tho, I looked down through the missing manhole down into the debris littered f*ckknows how deep water and quickly jumped back down to the ground. There would be no escape if you fell into that place.
I did attempt to follow the pipe along the rive and made it all the way down to where the wooded are finished but all I found was millions and millions of vicious wood ants ants.
Hope you like the photos, I've chucked a couple in from an unlocked ROC post and watch tower that I found on the way.

The oldest image I could find online

Little watch tower and ROC post

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Some nice snaps there. Im glad you mentioned finding it, shows you worked to find it yourself and weren't given it. Example of a good explorer. Nice nature shots. :thumb

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Some nice snaps there. Im glad you mentioned finding it, shows you worked to find it yourself and weren't given it. Example of a good explorer. Nice nature shots. :thumb
Thanks, much appreciated.
Working out where a place is and getting in and out un noticed is the bit I enjoy the most - dynamic problem solving. A few hours on Google and Old Maps and there isn't anything that can't be out.
Where would be the fun in it if it was open to all and signposted? What else do people want? A f*cking gift shop?

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Thanks, much appreciated.
Working out where a place is and getting in and out un noticed is the bit I enjoy the most - dynamic problem solving. A few hours on Google and Old Maps and there isn't anything that can't be out.
Where would be the fun in it if it was open to all and signposted? What else do people want? A f*cking gift shop?
Totally agree, I enjoy that part too, and finding new places myself. But yeah some on here do want an urban gift shop lol. Not gonna happen ;)

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
No pics from the ROC......... been there twice now down the ladder, mind the farmers wife lol.
I did contemplate having a look inside. But everyone was on post lockdown free fo all and there were walkers everywhere. Not to mention the entrance is well overlooked from the farm opposite. Most I've seen are either flooded or full of debris. Would be good to find a nice one.

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I did contemplate having a look inside. But everyone was on post lockdown free fo all and there were walkers everywhere. Not to mention the entrance is well overlooked from the farm opposite. Most I've seen are either flooded or full of debris. Would be good to find a nice one.

It's a really nice post mate, well worth a shufty.

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Whilst digging for info/history

on another place I came across bore hole / well reports for this place done way back when.

Urbanlegend

28DL Member
28DL Member
The pumping station has been disused for decades - used to go there with my mates when I was at school… Iots of weird folk used to gather there back then. Was passing by a few weeks ago and stopped by to see how it was holding up. Nature hides it well these days, cannot see it until you get through the trees and dense undergrowth, very boggy around the building especially to the left.

LumixLunacy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report and looks very interesting.
Amazing contrast between how overgrown outside has become and the stark concrete look inside.

Any other surviving Colorquix graffiti nearby?

Who has read this thread (Total: 299) View details