real time web analytics
Report - - Hunt Brothers Griffin Foundry Oldbury - 2002 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hunt Brothers Griffin Foundry Oldbury - 2002

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

J

johnt5293

Hello everyone,

Back in 2002 i visited the Griffin foundry in Oldbury to remove an historic collection of railway equipment known as 'The Sutton Collection'.

The collection consisted of 3 locomotives, and ten carriages, which were owned by Tom Hunt (of Hunt Bro's). The collection was operated in Sutton Coldfield, but shut down in the 1960's. The collection was stored in one of the numerous buildings on the site for 40 years, until with the aid of heritage lottery money, the collection was rescued & restored to full working order, and is now based and operational on the Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway.

I have added some pictures i took during the rescue operation, which had be undertaken early, as thieves had broken in and had started to systematically dismantle a fourth locomotive, which is soon to be reunited with the rest of the collection. This other locomotive is one of the oldest 15" gauge locomotives in the world.

I would gratley appreciate seeing any additional photographs anybody else has. A member called Raddog has some pictures, but i cannot seem to view them...

thanks

Johnt5293

SWScan0000300068.jpg

SWScan0000300073.jpg

SWScan0000300070.jpg

SWScan0000300069.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

the crest on the coaches similar to that of the foundry
SWScan0000300075.jpg

The coaches being loaded up