real time web analytics
Report - - Hury Reservoir (Rafting Down the Balder Slide), Balderdale - September 2013 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hury Reservoir (Rafting Down the Balder Slide), Balderdale - September 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
This is an older report, but we've finally decided to post it. Hope you enjoy!

Hury Reservoir, which is named after a local village, is located in a small dale which goes by the name of Balderdale. It was constructed in 1892 for the Stockton and Middlesbrough Water Board and is located approximately four miles south of Middleton-in-Teesdale. The reservoir is now controlled and managed by Northumbria Water and it supplies water to the Teesdale area. In 1991, Northumbria Water became the first company to entirely empty the reservoir as part of a large-scale maintenance plan for the area. Blackton Reservoir, which is also managed by Northumbria Water, is situated to the immediate west of Hury Reservoir, and it can be accessed via the same access road. Hury Reservoir, which is stocked on a weekly basis using local fish from a farm in Teesdale, is exclusively a fly fishery and is extremely popular among fly anglers.

The spillway that emerges from Hury Reservoir, also known as the Balder Slide, is estimated to be 101 metres long. Beginning from the top of the dam, the spillway continues to a pool at the bottom which marks the start of the River Balder. Although the river section behind the dam – between Cotherstone and the Balder Slide – is a popular grade three section for kayakers and canoeists, Northumbria Water regularly remind the general public that kayaking and rafting activities are not permitted on the slope.

We generally consider ourselves to be a group of climbers, as opposed to rafters or kayakers – preferring not to drown in white water rivers and the like –, but on occasion we have been inclined to get the old dingy out to do something interesting; whether that be sliding down a slipway, or attempting to paddle out to an abandoned castle off the coast of Scotland (that, however, is another story for another day I’m afraid). So, on our way to have a boulder on a nearby crag, we decided that we’d stop off and have a crack at the slipway. Unfortunately, we hit the first hurdle of the day before we’d even reached the reservoir, when a tractor with a particularly large trailer blocked the narrow lane we were travelling down, – having decided to unload hundreds of individual hay bales. Half an hour later though, we were back on track, heading in the direction of Hury Reservoir. Skipping the part where we arrived at the wrong reservoir, we’d noticed that Northumbria Water were out in force on this day, therefore we parked up a short walk away from the slipway and, as discretely as possible, retrieved the raft from the boot. Walking along the road to the slipway with Northumbria Water employees driving past is no easy task I can tell you, but somehow we made it to a small clearing in the trees at the base of the slide. It was here we quickly inflated the dingy and continued to the summit, quite aware that we were fully exposed to the road at the base of the river. Nonetheless, we managed two successful runs before the inflatable raft decided it’d had enough. Afterwards, we packed up the broken vessel and emerged on the road just as two more Northumbria workers drove past, offering a momentary friendly wave as they passed. Next stop for the day: Goldsborough for a spot of climbing.

1: The Balder Slide (Roadside Shot)

DSC_0118_zps6lc8jutb.jpg

2: Site Instructions

DSC_0039_zpsjmty0fbj.jpg

3: Hury Reservoir

DSC_0043_zpspamvdf7a.jpg

4: The Balder Slide (From the Top)

DSC_0047_zpsyyhfpnve.jpg

5: The Spillway

DSC_0049_zpsc02xy8qt.jpg

6: Part of the Dam

DSC_0062_zpsfz3zdwlj.jpg

7: Climbing the Bank

DSC_0096_zpsl78qhvl3.jpg

8: Preparing the Dingy

DSC_0059_zpsqx5eiwfz.jpg

9: Jumping into the Slide

DSC_0066_zps9yqythml.jpg

10: Getting Down to Business: Lowering the Raft In

DSC_0067_zpsh1pus2k6.jpg

11: Preparing to Depart

DSC_0069_zpsb0of1vm8.jpg

12: All Aboard!

DSC_0070_zpsmmxafoyf.jpg

13: And They're Off!

DSC_0073_zpslfqlddyf.jpg

14: Problems Keeping Straight

DSC_0074_zpsk9vfrg7g.jpg

15: Regaining Control...

DSC_0075_zpslcthzrn7.jpg

16: Gaining Some Speed...

DSC_0076_zpss9wyxinu.jpg

17: The Botched Landing

DSC_0077_zpsppjbe8bx.jpg

18: The Better Landing (2nd Attempt)

DSC_0099_zpswqhufgkh.jpg

19: The Survivors

DSC_0079_zpsjtbotawi.jpg

20: Paddling Away to Avoid Detection

DSC_0084_zps1cr2bjha.jpg

21: Land Ahoy!

DSC_0086_zpsws2n5jg3.jpg

22: Back on Dry Land

DSC_0087_zpssudw3pxh.jpg

23: The Slope (From the Bottom)

DSC_0088_zpsggffuw4p.jpg

24: Caution

DSC_0100_zpsdcwodtf5.jpg

25: Warning: No Unauthorised Access

DSC_0107_zpsrhzp9aoe.jpg

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Tell me there ois some form of video footage,this looks like a proper laugh mate nice one

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Looks like a proper laugh, nice one.

You remind me of these likely lads

Only I should imagine you're less irritating than the blonde cretin

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
cool! my boys would love to have a go!
If Northumbria Water had some business sense they would compete with Alton Towers and open this up as a ride.

get the video posted please

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
Awesome stuff & I'd love to take a board down one of these. Doesn't matter when it was from, it's a cracking adventure :thumb

Reminded me of the Fishtales video too & nice to see it posted by someone other than me. Have a look at his Dickboard videos or the ones from some of the events, he's pretty funny at times :D

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
That looks so fun. Great stuff :thumb

It was a good day out :thumb

Brilliant fun, i would love to see the video too, what a laugh...get on it :)

Trying to sort that. Motivation dwindles when it comes to editing videos down... *Sigh*

cool! my boys would love to have a go!
If Northumbria Water had some business sense they would compete with Alton Towers and open this up as a ride.

get the video posted please

Haha, I agree. A wasted opportunity right there!

Awesome stuff & I'd love to take a board down one of these. Doesn't matter when it was from, it's a cracking adventure :thumb

Reminded me of the Fishtales video too & nice to see it posted by someone other than me. Have a look at his Dickboard videos or the ones from some of the events, he's pretty funny at times :D

Cheers :thumb Just been watching the fishtales video haha.

Who has read this thread (Total: 7) View details