real time web analytics
Report - - Hydraulic Ram Pumps Uncovered (Mostly Midlands, 2019/21) | Industrial Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hydraulic Ram Pumps Uncovered (Mostly Midlands, 2019/21)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tigger

mog
Regular User
Some pics

Unfortunately not shown - check you use the 'Insert' button after uploading the files.

However, unless your images directly relate to the original post it would be better to create your own new post for them...it starts you down the route of writing reports as well as keeping things in sensible locality based posts. If you don't feel there is enough to justify a new post then a post in the general photos thread is likely the best place to post.

LordLagos

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Another brilliant and extremely interesting post chief. Now then, I’ve not worked my way through all of your posts yet, so what I’m about to tell you, you A) probably already know and 2) might have made a full-blown post on the things. If that is the case, my apologies: When you’re next in the area of Ashford-In-The-Water (I’m sure you will know of the twin-wheeled bobbin mill and the waterwheel pump adjacent) if you walk back up the river towards Monsal Head (a good stroll, wear comfy boots!) there’s quite a few ram pumps and old bits of mill workings (there’s even a collapsing waterwheel along there). There’s a little channel on YouTube called ‘Leicexplore’ (with some very interesting mill ruin videos). This chap actually visits Derbyshire and points a few of these out. I can highly recommend the walk on a nice day, but if you want to have a quick squint at them vicariously (which’ll give you an idea of their location) his channel is well worth a look. He’s a bit of a toss, no, crackpot but I’m pretty sure he means well. :) :)

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Another brilliant and extremely interesting post chief. Now then, I’ve not worked my way through all of your posts yet, so what I’m about to tell you, you A) probably already know and 2) might have made a full-blown post on the things. If that is the case, my apologies: When you’re next in the area of Ashford-In-The-Water (I’m sure you will know of the twin-wheeled bobbin mill and the waterwheel pump adjacent) if you walk back up the river towards Monsal Head (a good stroll, wear comfy boots!) there’s quite a few ram pumps and old bits of mill workings (there’s even a collapsing waterwheel along there). There’s a little channel on YouTube called ‘Leicexplore’ (with some very interesting mill ruin videos). This chap actually visits Derbyshire and points a few of these out. I can highly recommend the walk on a nice day, but if you want to have a quick squint at them vicariously (which’ll give you an idea of their location) his channel is well worth a look. He’s a bit of a toss, no, crackpot but I’m pretty sure he means well. :) :)
Thanks, yes there's quite a lot of interesting stuff in the valleys in that area including rams and waterwheels. I did minor excavations/cleanups of the 2 old wheel pumps a while ago, just haven't got around to doing a report on them yet.
Had a quick browse through that guys facebook/youtube and saw a lot familiar things.

LordLagos

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks, yes there's quite a lot of interesting stuff in the valleys in that area including rams and waterwheels. I did minor excavations/cleanups of the 2 old wheel pumps a while ago, just haven't got around to doing a report on them yet.
Had a quick browse through that guys facebook/youtube and saw a lot familiar things.
Ah, smashing, good work! Anything that’s ever had a waterwheel/turbine bolted on to it I seem to find absolutely fascinating, ever since being a wee whippersnapper. I was aware of ram pumps and have an idea of their operation but I don’t think I’ve ever given them much of a second look until today. Naturally, that’s now changed for the better. If you ever find yourself lodged between Litton & Cressbrook mills, on the path from one t’other, there’s another pump wheel on that stretch. Anyway; sorry for the further dissertation, keep up the good work! These things would have gone completely undocumented given a few more years, I’d gamble, which would be a great shame.

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Ah, smashing, good work! Anything that’s ever had a waterwheel/turbine bolted on to it I seem to find absolutely fascinating, ever since being a wee whippersnapper. I was aware of ram pumps and have an idea of their operation but I don’t think I’ve ever given them much of a second look until today. Naturally, that’s now changed for the better. If you ever find yourself lodged between Litton & Cressbrook mills, on the path from one t’other, there’s another pump wheel on that stretch. Anyway; sorry for the further dissertation, keep up the good work! These things would have gone completely undocumented given a few more years, I’d gamble, which would be a great shame.
I think I did a bit of weeding on that one - a smallish wheel right next to the path, but the pump on the other side has gone. Said to be something to do with the mines in the area.
Plenty more of these things to find if you look at old maps.

Last edited:

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Blickling estate had a waterwheel driven pump and a hydraulic ramp pump in the same area off Silvergate Lane/Road (can't remember exact name) about 40 years ago. National Taxdodgers are actually quite good at 'keeping' such things even if they don't actively promote them. Several of their properties have specifically restored pumps and as an organisation they have purchased several modern ram pumps as they fit well within the environmental agenda.
Apologies for bumping an old post. Whilst trawling through old OS Maps I came across the listing for a Hydraulic Ram and Pump House on the grounds at the hall, both at different parts. I haven't got around to looking at the pump house/waterwheel pump there but I did take a look at the old ram house. The building itself is still there but the pump has been removed and only fittings remain. I got a quick phone external. I did also get a pic from inside but there was nothing of interest, it has been totally stripped pretty much.

nc_ohc=EyAHFOgDvYIAX-TAwj3&_nc_ht=scontent.fltn3-2.jpg

Straying a bit....
Suffolk had more hydraulic ram pumps than Norfolk but there were significant numbers in the area North of a rough line from Stoke Ferry to Loddon
In a more general view, the density of waterwheel/wind-powered machinery (for pumping/grinding/processing) was lower in Norfolk than the majority of English counties. Of those a higher proportion were for maintaining drainage water levels though.
According to an early 1900s OS Map export I did, Norfolk has around 20-25 ram pumps listed on there, the majority of them are North of Norwich. I can send you more details if you are ever interested in checking them out. Over time I will probably get a chance to look at some of them but a lot seem pretty difficult to get to, and they are the wrong end of Norfolk from me. There are also a few around the Ipswich/Orwell area, but nothing in South Norfolk or North Suffolk. Obviously, there's probably a lot more that were not listed on OS Maps.

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Apologies for bumping an old post. Whilst trawling through old OS Maps I came across the listing for a Hydraulic Ram and Pump House on the grounds at the hall, both at different parts. I haven't got around to looking at the pump house/waterwheel pump there but I did take a look at the old ram house. The building itself is still there but the pump has been removed and only fittings remain. I got a quick phone external. I did also get a pic from inside but there was nothing of interest, it has been totally stripped pretty much.

nc_ohc=EyAHFOgDvYIAX-TAwj3&_nc_ht=scontent.fltn3-2.jpg

According to an early 1900s OS Map export I did, Norfolk has around 20-25 ram pumps listed on there, the majority of them are North of Norwich. I can send you more details if you are ever interested in checking them out. Over time I will probably get a chance to look at some of them but a lot seem pretty difficult to get to, and they are the wrong end of Norfolk from me. There are also a few around the Ipswich/Orwell area, but nothing in South Norfolk or North Suffolk. Obviously, there's probably a lot more that were not listed on OS Maps.
Don't think tigger has been on here for a while, but if you're from that area and have an interest in these things why don't you look all the rams in Norfolk. It'll be years before I get to that part of the UK.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Don't think tigger has been on here for a while, but if you're from that area and have an interest in these things why don't you look all the rams in Norfolk. It'll be years before I get to that part of the UK.
For sure, definitely something I am planning to do eventually. I have found a couple that aren't on OS Maps aswell. Might wait until winter so things are a bit less overgrown and they are a bit easier to get to.

Who has read this thread (Total: 353) View details