Web
Analytics
Report - - Hydro-Brake Dams - Glasgow [April 2018] | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Hydro-Brake Dams - Glasgow [April 2018]

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
Regular User
The White Cart Water Flood Prevention Scheme was confirmed by Scottish Ministers in 2006, and between 2008 and 2011 the first two phases of the scheme were completed. Phase 1 resulted in the formation of three large flood storage areas in the headwaters of the rivers White Cart Water, Earn Water and Kittoch Water. These remain empty most of the time and retain flood water during heavy rainfall significantly reducing the maximum flow through Glasgow. Phase 2 involved the construction of flood defence walls and surface water pumping stations in those areas with highest flood risk.

The completed Phase 1 and 2 flood defence works have already avoided flood damage to properties since 2011. In November 2011, it is estimated that over 200 properties would have been affected if the flood defences had not been in place.

The three flood storage areas constructed as part of Phase 1 of the scheme consist of Hydro-brake flow control devices to restict the flow, and large dams to hold back any excess water. Under normal conditions water will pass through the dam as normal... however in flood conditions the increased flow will create a vortex inside the Hydro-Brake and through some sort of witchcraft, reduce the outwards flow... reducing the risk of flooding downstream.

The first I heard about these Hydro-Brake Dams was @UrbanCaving's report on 'Drongos Den' (Kittoch Bridge). After I moved up to Scotland he mentioned there's 3 of them to the south of Glasgow, and I'd been meaning to take a look for a while. So easter weekend comes around and its not pissing down for a change so off I got for a mooch..

Kirkland Bridge

This was the first site I visited, and the biggest of the trio, sporting 3 Hydro-Brakes.

The infall grille... with a ridiculous amount of debris

One of the 3 Hydro-Brakes

The other two, in a pair

...from another angle

The grilles seem to collect a lot of shite, including dead animals

Around the outfall side, the twin brakes flow into one channel, the single into another

Finally the outfall

Blackhouse

Infall grille - On these two pics you can just see the tide-mark of straw on slope which shows just how full these storage areas get

Poking through the grille

A single brake this time, and encased in concrete

Controls above the outfall

Kittoch Bridge (Drongos Den)

More dead stuff...

Single brake again

Inside

Inside the Hydro-Brake... not much to them

Last edited:

UrbanCaving

Sewer Rat
Regular User
Very nice write up, great photos too. Glad you got down to them. Whilst not spectacular, certainly unique.

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Nice pics, mate, damn those infalls are big! Looks like they're doing their job, though, look how far up that hefty log went in the first pic, jeez

elhomer12

Regular User
Nice pics, mate, damn those infalls are big! Looks like they're doing their job, though, look how far up that hefty log went in the first pic, jeez
They're certainly sizeable.... I may go back some time during heavy rain and see one in action. You can only just see it, but in the first pic here's another massive log right on the top level on the far side as well... crazy

elhomer12

Regular User
Top photos and very interesting write up. I'm intrigued by the ramp in this photo. Wildlife bridge of some sort?
That confused me when I first saw UCs pics too, I have no idea. My first thought was cable runner of some sort, then as you say, something for wildlife to escape? They look to be the same holes you can see in the 2nd and 3rd pics though.... which just begs more questions

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Thats what i first thought. Then i remembered it rains a lot in scotland so the pipes and infalls, etc must be huge to cope. This ramp is likely the maintenance access, no?

elhomer12

Regular User
I'm not sure what you'd fit through the hole at the top though, it was maybe 6-8 inches. You won't fit much through that