real time web analytics
Report - - Ida wing Cookridge hospital Oct 2013 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ida wing Cookridge hospital Oct 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

voice

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My lad has been pestering me to take him to explore a hospital for some time and this seemed like a great place for him to start.I should have known it was going to be an entertaining trip as we walked toward the entrance and someone appeared at the gate house staring at us...nothing was said but we decided to retreat,discresion being the better part of valour. carrying a camera case and tripod and two helmets was probably a give away we were not part of the contractors payroll. we approached from the other side of the complex and imediately found the Ida wing. we checked a few panels to see an easy way in but it was not to be - the nail through my shoe made me jump but seemed amusing to my fellow explorer - stealthy we were not. Once inside the comedy continued as i managed to fall through a floor and cut my arm open - after that things were uneventful and we spent a few hours checking both buildings out.I must admit though i walked in to a room and was pretty freaked out to find a teddy there sat on the shelf - it was a bit of a blair witch moment and i haven't seen it on another report so took a snap - all in all a good trip - just be careful in the boiler rooms - loads of stuff to photograph but asbestos is everywhere.
history courtesy of H1971 - thanks:Not Worthy
History - Cookridge Hospital is located near Horsforth and Cookridge in Leeds, West Yorkshire. Designed and built in a Gothic vernacular style in 1869. It has provided cutting edge cancer treatment since 1952 but has been replaced with a £220m cancer centre at St James Hospital, which is now one of the largest of its kind in Europe and has about 1,600 staff.
Originally known as Cookridge Convalescent Hospital it was built at a cost of £10,000 to provide care and to promote recovery for patients who had been treated at Leeds General Infirmary. The area of Cookridge was chosen as it was a remote location from Leeds, 'where patients could be cheered up among the bracken and pure air'. The urban sprawl of Leeds soon engulfed Cookridge. John Metcalfe Smith of Beckett's Bank in Leeds, donated much of the money towards the building of the convalescent hospital.
As it was built in the days before the NHS, the patients had to pay for their own care. It cost approximately eight shillings a week for a three week stay but there was some charity, benefactors provided free beds for the needy. This was not an easy stay for the patients, they had to abide by a list of rules which remained the same until 1934. One of the rules was to 'obey the Matron and to perform all services in the house and grounds as she may appoint'.
The hospital played an important role in the World Wars; the hospital was requisitioned for the care of wounded servicemen. It briefly housed the Leeds Maternity Hospital in 1939.
In 1929 small scale experiments using radiation started in the treatment of cancer at the Cookridge but it wasn't till after World War II that the hospital embraced cancer treatment and patients. Leeds Regional Hospital Board took over the hospital, redeveloping the original convalescent hospital and building a new complex during the 1950s and 1960s.
The hospital continued to be at the forefront of cancer research and developed new technology as well as pioneering better, more effective treatments which improved the chance of survival in patients.
Finally the hospital grew too small, the outdated buildings could not support further growth so the hospital was abandoned in 2008 and sold. It was replaced with a £220m cancer centre at St James Hospital, which is now one of the largest of its kind in Europe and has about 1,600 staff.
The Met Police used the hospital for training purposes for a while.

10086697915_3a02aaef93_b.jpg

not too hard to find this place!!!!

10086703396_e24caf824e_b.jpg

The building is open to the elements and damp is present everywhere - beware the floors

10086624324_500dd1a32c_b.jpg

10086619814_fe9bcda84f_b.jpg

I slowly tested the floor and came round the corner to be greeted by this - it was a sureal moment and wouldnt have been out of place in a horror film

10086738553_14c2f4ae7e_b.jpg

10086733883_ba51a3c108_b.jpg

10086651215_03418d84b6_b.jpg

The boiler room has some great stuff in it but my shots didnt come out too well down here - i wasnt prepared to spend too much time in there as it is covered in asbestos everywhere - if youre going to do any shots down there i'd wear a mask.

10086715363_b9f7f4ddc5_b.jpg

10086647206_560d62a105_b.jpg

This is a natural light shot - it always amazes me how bright and clear peoples pics are - being a noob i have now realised that boarded up buildings are dark.:banghead - this was taken on a 1 sec exposure without flash

10086636486_b7cf4e3b4b_b.jpg

10086341796_6a799f2d51_b.jpg

10086327916_4f763e1d0f_b.jpg

A great little trip out - next time the main wing will have to be done so i can find those theatre lights- any feed back always welcome

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
you cant find an address for a hospital with history widely available on the net and the fact "Cookridge Hospital is located near Horsforth and Cookridge in Leeds, West Yorkshire" can with a little look on google maps be seen?

Last edited:

ben tony

Banned
Banned
what the hell is up with everyone on here lol so stuck up, i was asking for a little information. you search cookridge hospital in google maps..tell me what you find.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
what the hell is up with everyone on here lol so stuck up, i was asking for a little information. you search cookridge hospital in google maps..tell me what you find.

Point is mate im not being stuck up its called a little research,dont ask for handouts for post codes on a public forum..pm the guy ,use your noggin..failing that do what most do and use google maps with the info posted you have an area and enough to recognise a hospital?

EDIT :actually 30 seconds find the post code

ben tony

Banned
Banned
i wasn't directly asking for an address, although someone else has kindly given me the co-ordinates. i was asking for information such as (it's near this bridge, or near this shop) there's nothing dodgy about that.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
i wasn't directly asking for an address, although someone else has kindly given me the co-ordinates. i was asking for information such as (it's near this bridge, or near this shop) there's nothing dodgy about that.

theres a development of houses there and that comes up straight away,all im saying is ,was it that hard!

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details