Web
Analytics
Report - - Ilam house Oxfordshire. July 2018 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ilam house Oxfordshire. July 2018

mattyjcooper

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi guys my first report, apologies if it's been done but couldnt find another.
Only a basic report as it's a basic shell of a mansion as it was last used for offices.

It was originally built as a residential mansion in the 18th century. One websites says around 1720 but then was converted into offices after it was sold in 1953.
Built by Viscount Fane of Basildon Park for his wife, Mary, A maid of honour to Queen Anne.

If you don't like heights or can't climb very well then I don't think you have a chance of getting in. The only access is a 3rd floor window or rooftop window. So if your like me and you enjoy a climb or rooftop escape then this ones for you!

But what an impressive site! I can only describe it as a dream home. Sat on the river bank with a lovely view!

Got another 2 unreported locations in Oxfordshire. Will try upload them soon.

_DSC0540.JPG

_DSC0549.JPG

_DSC0555.JPG

_DSC0586.JPG

Screenshot_20180726-142548.png

_DSC0580.JPG

_DSC0572.JPG

_DSC0630.JPG

_DSC0596.JPG

_DSC0600.JPG

_DSC0571.JPG

Last edited:

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Good to see inside. You're right about the only access being a 3rd floor window, although I wish I'd tried a bit harder to get in before the steel sheeting went up a couple of years back.

mattyjcooper

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So have you climbed inside aswell? Can't quite work out if you have been in or not by your comment lol

If not the roof is slightly easier access but obviously i didnt realise untill i was in. I've always wanted to do a robbers drain pipe climb anyway haha

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
So have you climbed inside aswell? Can't quite work out if you have been in or not by your comment lol

If not the roof is slightly easier access but obviously i didnt realise untill i was in. I've always wanted to do a robbers drain pipe climb anyway haha
Sadly not, I'm not really built for athletic climbing! May give it another look soon though as will be down that way again.

mattyjcooper

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sadly not, I'm not really built for athletic climbing! May give it another look soon though as will be down that way again.
Ah fair enough, well it's an empty shell so your not missing out on much tbh. The roof may be your best bet but it still involves a small climb.
I do have more pictures from inside but they're still on my camera

Last edited:

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
It's original name was Basildon Grotto, it was renamed Ilam House and was the headquarters of a leisure company who used it as their offices.

mattyjcooper

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Is it possible to access it using that staircase in pic 3?
No, need to get up on the top roof. Either the drain pipes in pic 2 or there's a drain pipe at the top of the spiral staircase and walk to the other end of the roof. All pipes are cast iron and still very secured to the building.