real time web analytics
Report - - Ilkley Moor TV transmitters 'Jan 13 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ilkley Moor TV transmitters 'Jan 13

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User

7029637519_6437c17d68_c.jpg

Hidden/Howser

These have been a little project of mine for a while, basically I've discovered over the last couple of years that I'm really not happy at height. Which bothers me for a couple of reasons. I never used to have a problem with it at all, so much access involves being exposed and high, and pictures from height generally look sick.
As a result I've decided I'm going to force myself up some high stuff and get over it..
I first climbed these over the summer with Hidden. It was dark, proper cloudy and the fuckers don't half sway in the wind..
Neither of us even bothered to get out cameras out at the top.

Since then I've been up a couple of times on my own and bottled it before I've got to the top, it's taken until now to get round to getting back up there. We took one each and went for daylight this time, good job too. we'd have seen nothing again otherwise, in fact there were a couple of times the cloud rolled in and we couldn't see each other as it was.
The random dog walker we met on the way back to the car had been able to see well enough though, he fully approved.

As for history, I've found almost nothing at all. They were TV transmitter masts and are now deactivated, I found one bit of text that suggested they were a relay station for Emley Moor mast. The only other real reference I found was on an aviation forum where the members were getting excited about their inclusion on a flight simulator.

They're only 60m to the top, but since the base is already 400m above sea level there's a decent view. When the clouds clear.

8350007874_77b2e77c58_z.jpg
8348946295_8c2474164f_z.jpg

8348946769_0fa54b269d_c.jpg

8348948493_78ae597515_c.jpg

8348948235_2a44948212_c.jpg

8350010306_62797bda81_z.jpg
8348948861_67fa9062b6_z.jpg

Cheers.

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Yeah pics on this post are brilliant. Would you say you're somewhat better at heights now, after stints in Abu Dhabi and HK?

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
It's being exposed at height I'm not keen on, so on a roof I'm just a bit uncomfortable.

I think it's a weird sense or risk and reward also. I don't enjoy being high, so things like this freak me out, but I'm happy doing things like the climb into Inverkip.