real time web analytics
Report - - Inchindown Fuel Depot. HMS Invergordon | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Inchindown Fuel Depot. HMS Invergordon

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

B

bryag

I went for a bit of a ramble today (Alone:(), trying to find somewhere to explore. Zimbob had mentioned this place but I had no idea where it was. Did a search on Multimap and found the general location. Asked a young lad on a farm I had to drive through en-route and he pretty much directed me right to it. After an hour driving about I came upon this site. It was still about 1/4 mile walk from the road (and I use the term "road" rather loosely here) but well worth the time spent finding it!

Apparently it was built during the 1930s as a bomb proof fuel depot to service HMS Invergordon (one of the two most famous ports of the first and second word war, the other being Scappa Flow In the Orkneys). It seems in pretty good nick, although I do not think it is currently live, it is certainly looked after.

I have found very little documentary evidence of this sites existence, so this may well be the most complete record of this sites modern history.

Firstly views from the location, just as an indication of the remoteness of this site.
01.jpg

Note the oil rig in Invergordon Harbour
02.jpg

Aha, I was on the right trail
03.jpg

Here it is
04.jpg

I stopped nearly two years ago!
05.jpg

Padlock looked brand new, and hasps look pretty much tamper-proof (without lugging up some serious cutting equipment:p)
06.jpg

That sign again?
07.jpg

A small opening, perhaps to tease????
08.jpg

So I poked my camera through. Looks absolutely mint!
09.jpg

Tar bucket lying outside
10.jpg

Some sort of water tank?
11.jpg

12.jpg

View from adjacent structure
13.jpg

Another building close by
14.jpg

15.jpg

Rather disappointing as it happens!
16.jpg

Aha, This looks more interesting
17.jpg

Camouflage paint still in evidence
18.jpg

All locked up, unfortunately
19.jpg

But Broken windows afforded me this view
20.jpg

And this- See that hatch....Hmmm....Hatch (maybe next time)
21.jpg

Old gate
22.jpg

I intend to find out who the owner of this is, as it looks like a top explore. I rattled the gate and the echo went on for about a minute, so this installation is vast. Watch this space:thumb

B

bryag

Thanks Billand, Unfortunately Aultbea is still a live site and Nuclear subs still use the POL there (Image below)
Gairloch106.jpg

Also, there is a military base above the POL and I believe that is still live also. I wish I had a dog:rolleyes:

BTW how did you know my recce today was to Poolewe? I got a few (poor) pics of Cove point battery, but the weather was really extreme, and I feared I would get blown into the loch. The horizontal hailstones were the clincher and I beat a hasty retreat for the car. Another visit in the very near future (earlier and hopefully less windy will provide a good report)

Thanks to Ali147 for the info, will do a report on this soon!