real time web analytics
Industrial Cooperative Society / Rockingham Box, Kettering – April 2013 | Yorrick | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Industrial Cooperative Society / Rockingham Box, Kettering – April 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
After failing round the corner I spotted this and thought it might be worth a look.

Built as “Excelsior Worksâ€￾ in 1895 for Kettering Industrial Cooperative society, the building was extended in 1913.

It was used for manufacturing clothes and then later changed to grocery packaging and then added packaging of other goods.

By the 80s it had become Seddon Packaging and Print and after a management buyout in the late 90s it became Rockingham Box. The new company didn’t do well and by 2007 the company was in liquidation.

It is now in the process of conversion to residential use, with soft strip of the main buildings and demolition of single storey extensions to the rear well under way.

1.jpg

On entry the first thing I saw was a narrow staircase down. At the bottom I found these. Definitely the best bit of the day.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Steam flow. Measured in thousands of pounds per hour.

8.jpg

Anyone know what a CO2 transmitter would do, or where it transmits it to?

9.jpg

Original front door and stairs.

11.jpg

Several floors of this…

10.jpg

12.jpg

Lavatories for the offices.

13.jpg

Small reception room near the front door

14.jpg

Upstairs a large-ish office had been sripped apart from 4 electric heaters like this. You might just see the wires going in the top. Not something I’ve seen before.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

A Transparent-wrap machine by Stokes and Smith company of Philadelphia.

18.jpg

19.jpg

Thanks for looking.