real time web analytics
Report - - Ingarsby / Thurnby tunnel, Leicester, Mar13 | Underground Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ingarsby / Thurnby tunnel, Leicester, Mar13

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

lincstunnelexplorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The easiest way to get to the tunnel (they way we did as a kid). Go up the A47 Uppingham Road past Bushby and go up the hill. You'll see a large house on the left hand side called Winkerdale. There is a footpath to the right of this that goes though two fields, you get to the old bridge and turn right and follow the old track bed. If you follow for about 1/4 mile you will see the old aquaduct that is often leaking! When we lived there the old signal and railway workers shed was still there. A little after is the tunnel. You are best to get a decent torch. However I did ask a mate who lives in the area and he says the tunnel is often used by druggies and parties have been known to go on inside! Looking at the graffiti this could be the case. If you have the time you can clamber over the tunnel and a few fields and end up in Ingarsby. May parents lived in the old station house for a few months!. Plus if you go a bit further you can visit one of the most perfect deserted medieval village sites in the UK, plus the "Monks Grave", Mill ponds and old boundary roads. Have a good look at Google Earth and you can follow the old railway all the way to Marefield and beyond.

We are moving back to Leicester in July so this will be on my list of things to revisit so if you are up for a visit let me know!

Cheers. Always up for abit of exploring. Done Glenfield tunnel so another one around Leicester would be great.

Neil1982

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for sharing your memories. This is an old thread of mine, but I have returned quite a few times, as it is still an old favourite of mine.
Any idea why and when the eastern portal was infilled? Never found any information about that on research.

Thanks mate :)
I used to work for a farmer that used to own the land and he had it filled in years ago. W . H . Collins. He used to own a rose nursery down covert lane also. Before covert lane the nursery was in rose acre close off station lane.

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
I used to work for a farmer that used to own the land and he had it filled in years ago. W . H . Collins. He used to own a rose nursery down covert lane also. Before covert lane the nursery was in rose acre close off station lane.

Thank you for the update.
I first visited in the early 90s, so must have been some decades ago when it was filled in.

Neil1982

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thank you for the update.
I first visited in the early 90s, so must have been some decades ago when it was filled in.
It was years and years ago. He said he used to take sheep etc through it but it was a nightmare because they didnt want to go down and wouldnt budge until they could see the light at the other end. When they did they would bolt for it.

Mr Sam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

That was my great Uncle he said about trying to take sheep through it, he passed away a few years ago.

Neil1982

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was sorry to hear about him passing. I also worked over at his house in knossington. Is the family still there?