real time web analytics
Question - - Insurance for gear for a roadtrip | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Insurance for gear for a roadtrip

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Hi all,
I might be finally getting back into the game with a euro trip after last years disaster, and the recovery of my knee.
I just wondered if anyone has, or knows of a type of gear insurance that you could get for a 4 days trip?
Given that it will be full time exploring for 4 days, I feel the odds of an equipment calamity are a lot higher than usual, and if the price was right then it would seem an easy way to have peace of mind and a more relaxing trip.
Any ideas anyone?
Cheers

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
My household cover is with Swinton and covers me for £2.5k for any personal possessions lost or stolen outside my house, whether it’s on my person, in my car, hotel room etc. I asked specifically and my camera gear was covered. Maybe give them a try?

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
My household insurance covers my kit, just have to declare single items over £1000 without any significant premium on the policy.

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Hmmm. I already have my household and so don't need to get a whole package, just an add on. Maybe the way forward is to ask my current if they would add it on as an extra

Last edited:

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Make sure you read the smallprint! My contents policy has accidental damage on it but but ONLY within the walls of my house. Even my garden and driveway are not covered. I only found this out when I claimed for the phone I killed while abseiling :banghead

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Ok
I have been probing around and thought i'd share what i found as i think its woth it for road trips.

https://www.coverforyou.com
This works out at £17 for 4 days.
It covers up to £3000 (you can pay less for £2000 etc) and there is no excess.
It covers loss, theft (including from car) and accidental damage.
It does not cover accessories like tripod and memory cards. It does cover camera, lenses, GoPro, laptop and mobile phone. Doesnt cover drones.
For me it seems worth it if you are going on a heavy duty road trip.

mockney reject

Staff member
Ok
I have been probing around and thought i'd share what i found as i think its woth it for road trips.

https://www.coverforyou.com
This works out at £17 for 4 days.
It covers up to £3000 (you can pay less for £2000 etc) and there is no excess.
It covers loss, theft (including from car) and accidental damage.
It does not cover accessories like tripod and memory cards. It does cover camera, lenses, GoPro, laptop and mobile phone. Doesnt cover drones.
For me it seems worth it if you are going on a heavy duty road trip.

Thats a pretty good deal

@Ojay or @Oxygen Thief maybe speak to these people and get them an advert on here for a 28DL discount?

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
haha, im sure as soon as you confess up to the damage or theft occuring whilst trespassing, then it will be totally void. And they wouldnt cover this if it was officially stated on application. The last gang they would be wanting to insure is this lot here!
This is a case of explaining you dropped your lens accidentally on the road rather than on the other side of the wall if you know what i mean!
Im getting mine for my street photography anyway ;)