real time web analytics
Report - - Intier Factory / Golden Valley Mill - Bitton - February 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Intier Factory / Golden Valley Mill - Bitton - February 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

latentux

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This was a solo visit to the old Intier Factory on the site known as Golden Valley Mill in Bitton.

This site has been a part of Bittons industrial history since Golden Valley Mill was developed as a brass works in the early 18th Century. The original buildings were destroyed by fire in the 19th Century but the site was re-developed as a paper mill. Paper products were produced here until the 1960s, and from 1963 the Canadian owned company, Intier, produced wood fibre moulded components for Ford, Jaguar, Rover, and Saab for use in their cars. Apparently they pulped over 20 tons of logs every day until the factory closed in 2006.

Some parts of the structure are Grade 2 Listed. One side of the site runs parallel to the River Boyd and is actually bellow the river level. There are engineered flood defences along this stretch of the river, but the site is still considered to be at risk of flooding.

After the factory closed, the site owners proposals for non-industrial development were not approved, but in June 2012 South Gloucestershire Council issued a "Draft Concept Statement And Interim Policy" for future social development.

With the possibility of demolition in the near future I thought it best to pay a visit while I had the chance. The exterior views were taken on a miserable wet day and I had planned to do the whole report in black and white. When I got inside though the sun broke through and there was just too much colour to miss out on. As expected, most of the wiring, copper, etc, had been removed, and the office area was pretty well trashed. Almost no graffiti though. Down in the factory there was a mix of structures as buildings had been extended over the years. Unfortunately not much left inside but the "water features" more than made up for it.

Bitton-Intier1.jpg

Bitton-Intier2.jpg

Bitton-Intier3.jpg

Bitton-Intier4.jpg

Bitton-Intier5.jpg
Bitton-Intier6.jpg

Bitton-Intier7.jpg

Bitton-Intier8.jpg

Bitton-Intier9.jpg

Bitton-Intier10.jpg

Bitton-Intier11.jpg

Bitton-Intier12.jpg