real time web analytics
Intruder alarms etc | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Intruder alarms etc

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mps6

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
just wondering as to people's experience with alarms, had a few explores cut short by alarms. The first of which was very obviously a ligament security firm set up, but the second one we encountered on a different location was fairly quite and sounded like it was more a deterrent more then anything. Anyone else come over possible deterrent alarms, or anyone stuck around long enough to find out.

DrGonzo

Hello Officer
28DL Full Member
Depends on the place really, 95% places I have been to either the alarms are silent (doubtful) or they don't have them. I recently went to a house that had been compulsory purchased by a mining company where the door had been left open, the house was alarmed but we only had what I guess was a warning tone to show that it hadn't set properly. Left anyway as it was a pretty busy area. Other times the alarms have been going off when we arrived, just hung out for a bit to see if anyone would respond, when no one did we went in.
I'm not sure quite sure on whether this would be allowed and it's not something I have done when out, but one could just put some tape over the front of the acess PIR's real quick, leave wait for the alarm to be re-set or quit then return without triggering them.... Anyone have any thought's on that?

bagpuss_24

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Quite an old post; though will add my tuppence.
In my apprentice days, worked for a (then) large and reputable Intruder Alarm installer (AFA-Minerva).

In the early days of electrical Burglar Alarms as we know them began after WW2; these generally were a "silent" system; that when activated, would not make any noise - but would signal the local police station.
Crime figures dropped.

Criminals (always being 1 step ahead) then would open a door/break a window on a building and then sit round the corner to see who or what turned up to investigate - that way they knew if it was linked.
Bells were added on some systems - and back then, people took more notice of them.

Jump to the early 1960s - there were 100s of Alarm installers popping up - and a large percentage being cowboy firms - and of course, came the false alarms.
Police refused to turn out to systems with a constant false alarm.

So - regs were brought in - and strict standards for installation. Direct links to Police stations were becoming expensive to install/maintain and operate.
So many large companies (AFAs / Rely-A-Bell etc) set up their own monitoring stations. Again these weren't cheap to subscribe to.

During the 60s & 70s, you would only really find a Bank / Post Office / Jewellers / Large good wherehouse linked somewhere.
Everyone else with an alarm would have a bell that rang locally - just basically making a lot of noise!!!

Jump to the 1990s and more recently, the regs have changed, and insurers insist on having the system linked somewhere- either via a Landline dialler, or even via a network/Wi-Fi.

Derelict buildings with a functional alarm, may be linked elsewhere - albeit to a Security Firm or even a Pager to the on duty guard.
The old way - would be to take the phone off the hook to engage the line (it wouldnt be able to dial out).
The other was connect a battery to the outgoing line!

Both of the above are old methods tried and tested by criminals (I have seen this when had to repair systems) - and wouldn't work on any system installed today, as such equipment is non-compliant.
So - before I get shouted at - I am not encouraging criminal actions!!!!! ;-)

If anyone see's any old Alarm equipment (functional/non functional) it'd be nice to see some pics of such kit.
Some AFA kit is still about - though not working.

To Tape a PIR - many are "Dual Tech" sensors - and also monitor Ultrasonic Noise too; so blocking the "eye" sensor wouldn't work!
Cutting the wire, removing any cover would also set it off.