real time web analytics
Report - - Irrigation Canal with Tunnels, Eptà Pigès, Rhodes, Greece - October 2015 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Irrigation Canal with Tunnels, Eptà Pigès, Rhodes, Greece - October 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
Well the Bollockbrains family have just returned from a short trip to Greece (flights dirt cheap at the moment as the Government there tries to bring in desperately needed tourist Euros).

Here's an example of a worthwhile impromptu explore with no prior research or knowledge and just happening by keeping ones eyes open. My guide book told me that Epta Piges, up in the hills, is a worthwhile lunch stop. Whilst eating in the restaurant there, I looked across the river and saw this....

30_zpsftlcqlob.jpg

Well that needs investigating me thinks. Turned out to be an irrigation canal built in the 1930s by the Italians. What followed was a 3 hour walk with numerous tunnels and bridges. Apologies for my little one appearing in almost all photos... he was excited with this adventure and couldn't be stopped from rushing ahead.

HISTORY

Epta Piges (English: seven springs) is an isolated restaurant and picnic spot on the Kolymbia to Eleousa road, heading to the mountainous area of Rhodes Island. The irrigation canal was built by the Italians in the 1931 and I assume to bring freshwater from the mountains to the drier populated coast. The longest tunnel is 184m long. Have no idea how long the canal is, but we walked about 90 minutes in each direction covering several kms with no end in sight. Potentially it could be up to 20km long.

Difficult to find out any more history, save that if this was Portugal then the irrigation canal would be called a levada and the island of Madeira has 1000s of kms of levadas with many clinging to the side of cliffs hundreds of metres up (the photos I have seen remind of the Caminito del Rey in Southern Spain). I have already decided to get there next year and walk these cliff-hanging levadas.

The first tunnel had a bend in. The water was up to 6 inches deep (not a problem as even at the end of October, the weather was hot and above 25 degrees). The water was teaming with life including freshwater crabs and the super rare critically endangered Karpathos Frog (Pelophylax cerigensis) which is endemic to Greece and sadly heading for extinction.

34_zpskywqc5ki.jpg

36_zpsjlx9zmtm.jpg

The canal went through the forest, often in sight of the Eleousa road, but sometimes well away from the road.

37_zpsxwyaxrpv.jpg

50_zpsebotg5ez.jpg

52_zpsixjjjgrx.jpg

There were numerous small tunnels (we counted 7)

46_zpsqosnp8ne.jpg

48_zpsj56mbjps.jpg

41_zpseibrrzjj.jpg

As well as bridges. This is actually an impressive feat of engineering. Where the canal begins we had no idea as we turned around after 90 minutes due to failing daylight.

43_zpsv6ntqa9v.jpg

44_zpse0kelbud.jpg

The longest tunnel is 184m long and a ventilation shaft in the middle.

02_zpsfjy9zxxi.jpg

03_zpspx1kuqsh.jpg

08_zpss2ae3qkb.jpg

09_zpslp6wuvub.jpg

14_zpspkgl6a6r.jpg

17_zps6hjrszkh.jpg

28_zpskftsx3mo.jpg

Finally we found a small limestone mine nearby, not worthy of a report, but with the setting sun perfectly shining through the entrance, the colours were amazing in there.

DSC00947_zpsnzrlw276.jpg

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

anubis

28" Member
28DL Full Member
Been to Rhodos a fair few times and Halki Isle.
You're brave mate - I've seen their jumping spiders out there. :thumb