Web
Analytics
Report - - Islip Mines & Quarries | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Islip Mines & Quarries

Rustynail

it's dark in here innit?
28DL Full Member
Islip ironstone quarries and mines supplied ironstone to furnaces in the Kettering area and were begun around 1869 by the Islip Iron Ore Co. and later taken over by Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd. A narrow gauge railway connected various different mines and quarries around Slipton. As far as I know this paricular on ceased production in July 1915.

Vistited today with a couple of mates who lurk on here. The mine lays on private land some way off the nearest road and the access involved a bit of a comedy moment as we scurried for cover from a seemingly non existent game keeper's motor and then a tight squeeze into a backfilled adit. Eventually we got underground and spent over 2 hours exploring the mine but probably seeing only 25% of it. We got lost and it did become a bit worrying when we realised we'd been going in circles for a while. Never have I been so glad to see daylight again!

Slipton002.jpg

Slipton012.jpg

Slipton006.jpg

Some plants that were growing in a complete absence of light.
Slipton011.jpg

Ancient sweary graffitti that appears to have been painted with soot using a lamp or candle.
Slipton016.jpg

Slipton027.jpg

Slipton020.jpg

Slipton023.jpg

Slipton028.jpg

Slipton029.jpg

Slipton005.jpg

Slipton030.jpg

Last edited: