real time web analytics
Report - - Islip Mines & Quarries | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Islip Mines & Quarries

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rustynail

it's dark in here innit?
28DL Full Member
Islip ironstone quarries and mines supplied ironstone to furnaces in the Kettering area and were begun around 1869 by the Islip Iron Ore Co. and later taken over by Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd. A narrow gauge railway connected various different mines and quarries around Slipton. As far as I know this paricular on ceased production in July 1915.

Vistited today with a couple of mates who lurk on here. The mine lays on private land some way off the nearest road and the access involved a bit of a comedy moment as we scurried for cover from a seemingly non existent game keeper's motor and then a tight squeeze into a backfilled adit. Eventually we got underground and spent over 2 hours exploring the mine but probably seeing only 25% of it. We got lost and it did become a bit worrying when we realised we'd been going in circles for a while. Never have I been so glad to see daylight again!

Slipton002.jpg

Slipton012.jpg

Slipton006.jpg

Some plants that were growing in a complete absence of light.
Slipton011.jpg

Ancient sweary graffitti that appears to have been painted with soot using a lamp or candle.
Slipton016.jpg

Slipton027.jpg

Slipton020.jpg

Slipton023.jpg

Slipton028.jpg

Slipton029.jpg

Slipton005.jpg

Slipton030.jpg

Last edited:

ultravox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I remember having a wonder around this with DHL (R.I.P) in April 2010. I wonder if it's still accessible?

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
No mate sadly this mine has been sealed I live
Locally after dhl passed away YouTube people got inside the mine and Drayton estate have brought the quarry face down onto the addits now :( no traces left

ultravox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the info thought it might be worth a revisit. Shame everything gets ruined by the idiots out there. I thought, considering how careful you had to be getting past the game keeper it would still be accessible.