real time web analytics
Report - - J B Spray and Co, Nottingham, 18th July 2009 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - J B Spray and Co, Nottingham, 18th July 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

layz

Conquistador d'Wolverton
28DL Full Member
Hey guys, another explore from Nottingham:

This is by far the best explore I have been on since my first one at Sleaford!

History

John Spray was a well know and local lace manufacturer. He served on the Board of Guardians many years. He died in 1871, aged 63 when his son, Joseph Spray, succeeded him. The Building you see today was built in 1870 during an era of expansion of the lace industry outside of the city centre. These newer mills built on the ‘outskirts’ were able to produce more and house heavier machinery.
The building is characterised by two towers which contained the stairwells and toilets. The design is subtlety neo-gothic as was fashionable in the mid-late C19th
I am unsure as to when production ceased, but I would guess it was around the early C20th as the mill was not expanded. (after another trip to the library I’ll update this report).

Today

The mill is now vacant but has received a lot of press regarding recent squatters. â€￾The owner apparently seeks community uses for the buildingâ€￾ and a group of young, educated and socially minded individuals have come and gone from here on a number of occasions. These people have treated the mill with great care and respect and are a role-model for other squatters. It is refreshing to hear of such a historical building being saved from vandalism, decay of even worse: redevelopment.
For more information visit: Nottinghamshire | J B Spray Building Occupied / Evicted / Reoccupied

Outside, note the two towers and 'neo-gothic' style:
161.jpg

145.jpg

Inside, note the supreme condition of the floor beams:

033.jpg

027.jpg

044.jpg

136.jpg

Beautiful roof-truses:
086.jpg

061.jpg

In the top of the tower: