real time web analytics
Report - - James Cond Printers, Birmingham - May 2017 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - James Cond Printers, Birmingham - May 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
James Cond Printers - Birmingham.

Visited with @Polo and @Salmon. I wasn't initially planning on posting a report, but as Polo seems to have the self-esteem of a 12 year old Marilyn Manson fan and refuses to post his own pictures (despite the fact they're objectively better than mine) here goes..

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-7_zpstgx655m9.jpg

Speed's external from last year showed the modernist rear elevation, so I've added a photo showing the more classically-styled office façade above, despite the fact it's utter gash.

It's been exactly one year since Speed and I first explored James Cond, and so it was nice to be able to return and see what, if anything, had changed. The short answer is very little - the inside looks pretty much as it did 12 months ago. The only real difference is that the owners of the car park that now occupies the former factory floor have made it slightly more challenging to get up into the properly derelict parts - one can no longer simply open a door from the car park and waltz into a derelict canteen, for example. Not exactly difficult though!

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-32_zps3f8lhrzw.jpg

History is remarkably elusive considering the size and prominence of this site, though from what I can gather James Herbert Cond (1886 - 1962) founded the company as a print works and publishers in November 1926. Over its lifetime clients included the Telsen Electric Co., the Shipping, Engineering & Machinery Exhibition, and London Transport. The company was wound up in 1989.

Since closure, the factory floor has been converted into a secure car park, though in spite of this it's unmistakably a derp - antiquated signs hang still hang from the ceiling and switchgear on the walls hints to the former use. I'd go as far as to say there's more to see in here than in many of the more 'traditional' derelict buildings I've explored!

James%20Cond%20Printers-13_zpssoxghrto.jpg

Even the first aid kit remains from the Cond days

James%20Cond%20Printers-2_zpsumc6bao7.jpg

The signs should date it for you

James%20Cond%20Printers-12_zpsxirr1ckr.jpg

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-31_zps5odbdmrf.jpg

Beautiful deco stair turret

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-11_zpsftgdtwvd.jpg

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-13_zpsugoxmkor.jpg

The building is split into two parts - the slightly later deco extension to the rear, and the original 1920s/30s building at the front. The contrast between the stylish deco lines and the more traditional factory building is stark - these partitions seemed almost too old to belong in the place

James%20Cond%20Printers-16_zps824ary6a.jpg

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-17_zps1zaswprq.jpg

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-5_zpsuogsii3u.jpg

Lift epic

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-16_zpsro0kyki6.jpg

Toilets certainly seemed to be the main event here - I've never seen so many in one place, all wonderfully dated

James%20Cond%20Printers-15_zpss1rn79v3.jpg

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-14_zpskzzhvayg.jpg

James%20Cond%20Printers-14_zpsomcdsjam.jpg

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-12_zpspknoe8bh.jpg

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-20_zpsra2bxuer.jpg

Moving into the offices in the front façade - pretty empty but very antiquated

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-4_zpsw4lvzrcf.jpg

The original main entrance, with African hardwood veneer with acid etched glass

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-18_zpswiccqlvp.jpg

James%20Cond%20Birmingham_zpsdgl84xjh.jpg

One of the more interesting features was a separate flat for the caretaker on the top floor - this arrangement used to be relatively commonplace, but by the time we get to them they've usually been repurposed as offices. The one at Cond is totally original - the pantry still has a marble cold slab, the fittings all scream 1930s - even the bath remains, merely hidden by a wooden shelf!

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-2_zps0gxncwvs.jpg

The directors office more or less sums up the rest of the office block - empty but dated

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-27_zpsdzpvzmoe.jpg

Interesting to see he had his own cloakroom though..

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-19_zps98sxuhqt.jpg

..complete with crazy ventilation

James%20Cond%20Printers-18_zpswmn0pl3y.jpg

Cont.​

Last edited:

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
The real highlight for me was the welfare block, probably built in the 1960s but untouched since then - starting with the canteen

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-28_zpsenawcyow.jpg

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-30_zpstwpsr7ap.jpg

With a separate 'staff' canteen (for managers and hospitality functions) off to one side

James%20Cond%20Printers-4_zpsuu8zcom0.jpg

Dated signage abounds

James%20Cond%20Printers-6_zps432tktik.jpg

Kitchens

James%20Cond%20Printers-9_zpsay7zpbwe.jpg

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-9_zpsijhroxyd.jpg
James%20Cond%20Birmingham-8_zps8rhx7avy.jpg

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-29_zpsqxmv8rjh.jpg

Cloakrooms and locker rooms:

James%20Cond%20Birmingham-10_zps0dgkbsob.jpg

James%20Cond%20Printers-11_zpssyddcumv.jpg

Sorry it's so pic heavy, but I really do rate this place - I'd even go as far as to say it's one of my favourite sites from last year. Despite being reused in places, as an all rounder its still very impressive - not many factories offer this combination of offices, canteen and factory space and certainly even fewer will be this dated.​

Last edited:

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
That's a really cool explore. Think my favourite bit from your report is the lift!

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Absolutely nothing wrong with those photos at all, you can really feel the atmosphere of the place.

Certainly looks like a great place to spend an afternoon's wandering.

Polo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No way is my set better than that - I still need to look into getting a wide-angle lens! Nice report as always.

I struggled in certain places seeing as I left my tripod 50 miles away but here are a few of my photos from the day:

nlOO8zB.jpg

SlY5XS3.jpg

bRDu69W.jpg

piqoXty.jpg

I definitely could've used my tripod in this place...

NekkTBK.jpg

RWsR1ut.jpg

JVkZDV3.jpg

xcQ4EIL.jpg

0lC1Neo.jpg

I was pretty disappointed with most of my photos of James Cond but I suppose some came out alright. Here's an average snap of the view looking out of one of the windows to finish it off:

YsJWL9u.jpg

Philq001

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi I am currently working on the Refurbishment of the James Cond Building. We have carried out a full 360 degree Matterport scan of the building prior to us starting. This building needs quite a bit of love.