real time web analytics
Report - - joan croft level crossing thorpe in balne doncaster | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - joan croft level crossing thorpe in balne doncaster

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

farmer.ned

magic.clean
28DL Full Member
its friday night and im playing catch up as i bash out another report for your pleasure.
an early finish at work today enabled me to knock off another 3 of my to do,s as they were all within a short distance from each other what are they??..well you,ll just have to wait and see.

so on to part 2 joan croft level crossing having done the doncaster north chord...(see high places)..joan croft level crossing was within a very short distance of the chord and as i was working there i thought why not so after dinner i indulged further for half an hour.

joan croft level crossing was formally a hand operated manual crossing one of the last on the east coast main line it was part of the bottleneck north of shaftholme and joan croft junction and required you to ring a bell at the side of the crossing to alert the crossing keeper to your prescence in the cabin.
the site also had a halt just north of the crossing built in 1920 joan croft halt has two flanking platforms with brick built station buildings on the york side the halt set in the countryside among a few cottages the halt closing in 1950 with the stop never appearing in a timetable joan croft level crossing was a bit of a mecca for rail enthusiasts despite its very rural location and the site still appears today in the forum train spots.

in 2011 network rail applied to built a viaduct across joan croft junction to link the knottingley line with the grimsby line and to build an overbridge over the ecml on land near joan croft lane thus enabling the closure of joan croft level crossing this was achieved in 2014 and the gates at joan croft closed for the last time.

today a steel security fence replaces the former crossing gates but some artifacts can still be found the left hand pillar of the original crossing gates still remains on the york side and the box containg the westinghouse equiptment still remains on the wall of the former crossing keepers cottage ..all the cottages now being privately owned
the south side fared worse with no trace of joan croft crossing the land being used for network rail storage joan croft is still the remote tranquil place it has always been occasionaly distrubed by the whoosh of a passing electric train heading north to york or south to london kings cross .
FQ8n6G.jpg

joan croft one of the last manually worked crossings on the ECML
jdm0oL.jpg

today a security fence and concrete bollards replace the gates one of the original posts remains on the left
QQjFal.jpg
the southbond side used for network rail storage you would never have thought a crossing had ever existed here the original post on the right
ciNpqv.jpg

the westinghouse equiptment box still remains on wall of the former crossing keepers cottage
YMgkFr.jpg

the new overbridge that sounded the death knell for joan croft crossing
NBuGY6.jpg

shaftholme open level crossing trains are required to stop at the side of the crossing and proceed on a clear signal apart from occasional freight 3 grand central trains pass each way daily
D96S4F.jpg

looking south towards doncaster from the bridge with the chord and cottages in view the halt was to the left and right of the main line where the short road ends
21C6J5.jpg

looking north towards york looking almost flat and continental this could just be as easily have been northern france
F4IhiZ.jpg

joan croft junction with the straight road to doncaster and the grimsby line branching off to the left
IxXcYn.jpg

as a cross country voyager heads for doncaster