Report - - John Ellis and Sons | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - John Ellis and Sons


28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Clinker manufacture operational: 1869-1935

Approximate total clinker production: 270,000 tonnes

Raw materials: Blue Lias Limestone by tramway from drift mine at 459600,316200 in Sileby parish. From the 1920s, Blue Lias limestone was brought by rail (40 km) from Kilby Bridge, Wigston Magna, (SP)461200,279200.

Primarily a hydraulic lime plant, production of cement began in 1869 with perhaps two small dry process bottle kilns, output 30 t/week, although this product may not have been Portland cement in the strict sense. In 1883, Spackman installed kilns with his patent drying chambers, and proper Portland cement was certainly made. Stone from selected chemically-tested floors was finely dry-ground, then briquetted. There were six kilns, producing 120 t/week , and this continued until closure. The product was used entirely on site in concrete products made with Mountsorrel granite, and in the production of coloured “cement paintâ€￾. The original John Ellis was a collaborator of Robert Stephenson on the Midland Railway, and he and his successors were directors of the railway: much use was made of if for raw materials and for shipping concrete products into London. Lime production continued until 1925, using six (but originally many more) bottle kilns. The Ketton company seems to have persuaded the company to cease manufacture. The concrete plant continued, using Ketton cement, after the kilns stopped, and was eventually bought out by Redlands. Their successors, Lafarge, still own the site
it has also been used by a transport co , visited with explorer dog Binky













Similar threads