Web
Analytics
Report - - Josephine Butler Care Home, Liverpool (JAN 2019) | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Josephine Butler Care Home, Liverpool (JAN 2019)

samla89

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Josephine Butler Care Home was a care home that provided service to adults between the ages of 18 – 65 years with mental health needs. Other than that, I can find no other history or info on this place! There's not even any records of this place closing down. I used to walk past this place on a regular basis and while it had a large wooden fence and secuirty signs on it, the fact it was in immaculate condition made me think it wasn't "proper abandoned". Eventually, around November I decided to hop onto the grounds one day for an inspection, peeking through the windows, seeing no signs of activity, and the easiest access in history! Upon entering this place I felt blessed! It was huge, in great condition (minus a few pieces of ceiling scattered about) and there was zero graffiti, and I assumed I was the first to explore this place! I visited it as frequently as I could, and I began to notice over time, bits of graffiti, smashed windows, missing furniture and ash trays! And upon checking up on it a few days ago, it's now a mullered shadow of it's former self! Luckily, not to the extent of fire damage or roof collapse, but rather vandals have taken over and smashed all the windows, looted the place, threw paint everywhere, and used all the furniture to block off the stairs! Luckily I got photos of this place before it was too late. I thought this building was all mine for the taking, as if it was "finders, keepers" but nature ran it's course! The building has three floors and a basement, roof access, and best of all, an "anti-suicide grill" on the staircase!

IMG_7667.JPG
IMG_7668.JPG
IMG_7670.JPG
IMG_7671.JPG
IMG_7672.JPG
IMG_7673.JPG
IMG_7674.JPG
IMG_7675.JPG
IMG_7676.JPG
IMG_7677.JPG
IMG_7678.JPG
IMG_7679.JPG
IMG_7681.JPG
IMG_7682.JPG
IMG_7683.JPG
IMG_7685.JPG
IMG_7686.JPG
IMG_7687.JPG
IMG_7688.JPG
IMG_7689.JPG
IMG_7690.JPG
IMG_7691.JPG
IMG_7692.JPG
IMG_7693.JPG
IMG_7694.JPG
IMG_7695.JPG
IMG_7696.JPG
IMG_7697.JPG
IMG_7700.JPG
IMG_7701.JPG

Yorrick

I call bullshit!
Regular User
That's a good looking building, good find.

Other than that, I can find no other history or info on this place!
Top tip of the day: Start with the council's planning application database and go from there.

Originally built as a private residence, The Josephine Butler Memorial House, Liverpool, affiliated to the Anglican Archbishops' Advisory Board for Preventive and Rescue Work, was set up in 1920 in association with the University of Liverpool to train women as professional administrators in the field of social welfare, in accordance with the reforming principles of Josephine Butler's work. It offered, from a succession of premises in the city, one year social work courses, or the two year full Social Science course of the University of Liverpool, with which the House was always closely associated. Continuous financial struggles and the gradual evolution of professional social services made the House (later Josephine Butler College) unviable. The last students finished their courses in 1972. (More on Josephine Butler here, here and here)

It then became a guest house, The Asch Hotel, in 1977.

It became a residential care home in 1989. A CQC report on 6/1/16 states: Requires improvement. It closed soon after.

Permission was granted in 2017, to Vinco developments, to convert it to 20 apartments. Part of this development is to demolish the building behind and build a new block of 56 apartments.

samla89

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's a good looking building, good find.

Top tip of the day: Start with the council's planning application database and go from there.

Originally built as a private residence, The Josephine Butler Memorial House, Liverpool, affiliated to the Anglican Archbishops' Advisory Board for Preventive and Rescue Work, was set up in 1920 in association with the University of Liverpool to train women as professional administrators in the field of social welfare, in accordance with the reforming principles of Josephine Butler's work. It offered, from a succession of premises in the city, one year social work courses, or the two year full Social Science course of the University of Liverpool, with which the House was always closely associated. Continuous financial struggles and the gradual evolution of professional social services made the House (later Josephine Butler College) unviable. The last students finished their courses in 1972. (More on Josephine Butler here, here and here)

It then became a guest house, The Asch Hotel, in 1977.

It became a residential care home in 1989. A CQC report on 6/1/16 states: Requires improvement. It closed soon after.

Permission was granted in 2017, to Vinco developments, to convert it to 20 apartments. Part of this development is to demolish the building behind and build a new block of 56 apartments.
thanks for the schooling, suppose that's what happens when I don't look further than the fourth page of google search results! As for demolition, one building further back on the grounds of the care home was demolished, but it looks like builders haven't touched the care home itself

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
callumfgphotography Residential Sites 5