real time web analytics
Question - - jpeg vs RAW... what's your opinion... | Photography and Video Forum | Page 6 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - jpeg vs RAW... what's your opinion...

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Do you prefer jpeg or RAW?

• Total voters

GG

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Raw, totally. Jpg throws away loads of information that you can't recover in processing later and the smartarse camera guesses a load of processing for you.

Last edited:

ThisWay

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I shoot in JPEG because RAW files are massive, although I'm aware of the benefits of RAW files, especially when shooting in low light. I should probably try it some day.

Garyjayuk

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Always Raw...... You can recover so much, even with a bad shot that's to dark.

However, if you just want to point and shot and don't edit, then you might as well use JPEG.

Raw is for the editor and JPEG is well...... Just JPEG really.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Always Raw...... You can recover so much, even with a bad shot that's to dark.

However, if you just want to point and shot and don't edit, then you might as well use JPEG.

Raw is for the editor and JPEG is well...... Just JPEG really.

ive seen very decent shots come straight from jpeg with no need to edit or process..i now shoot raw cos of white balance issues..and to be honest its made me a lazy photographer knowing i can recover and tweak when i get home

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
if you spend cash on a camera that shoots raw then why would you use it at a 1/4 of its image producing capabilites and shoot jpeg?? makes no sense, the argument for smaller file sizes is bullshiit, you can get 64gb sds for £20 all day long these days, no brainer really

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
if you spend cash on a camera that shoots raw then why would you use it at a 1/4 of its image producing capabilites and shoot jpeg?? makes no sense, the argument for smaller file sizes is bullshiit, you can get 64gb sds for £20 all day long these days, no brainer really

your camera takes the picture in raw full stop then keeps that image in a buffer to then process and give you your jpeg .yes i agree with the whole raw thing and fully understand.but my point is you are then processing your raw to your tastes when people i know and myself up till last year where happy shooting jpeg and the results given from using the camera and its many settings..raws made me lazy

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
This is why you shoot raw.

24026189635_4e8296dd38_b.jpg

22443749268_441e49583f_b.jpg

Garyjayuk

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The only time I shoot JPEG is when I'm doing sports photography because you get a longer burst, but even that is only now and then because I can normally get what I want with Raw.

Technology has given the option to produce pictures with less work and for me that is a plus. jpeg still has its place, but to get the best out of your photos and be creative then Raw is the way to go.....

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details