real time web analytics
Question - - jpeg vs RAW... what's your opinion... | Photography and Video Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - jpeg vs RAW... what's your opinion...

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Do you prefer jpeg or RAW?

• Total voters

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Sure, but you can do that in jpeg?

You can to a point fiddle with jpegs yes,but they always look so over done,raw allows you much more scope on keeping your picture looking natural without raping the quality..try toning down highlights in jpeg and you can tell its been fucked about with

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
do us a favour, export the unedited RAW to a jpeg and post it here? It's exactly the scenario I want to practice with.

binned the raws mate..i keep em for about a week then fuck em off..trust me the shot was under exposed and burnt out at the same time in areas

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
RAW, so much more file data to play with, specially as I shoot mainly hand held, easy to recover detail in shadows/blown highlights etc, downside is file size at almost 50mb each on my D810, really depends how much you're into the photography aspect of this hobby I suppose. I did a NYC skyline on holiday a while ago, just a single raw, a friend wanted it printed at best part of a metre wide, the file was over 500mb but the detail was still there.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
binned the raws mate..i keep em for about a week then fuck em off..trust me the shot was under exposed and burnt out at the same time in areas

Yeah I'm just about to delete all my Canon RAW files, I'll never ever be processing them again so seems pointless keeping them.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Yeah I'm just about to delete all my Canon RAW files, I'll never ever be processing them again so seems pointless keeping them.

I would much rather shoot jpeg,get home resize wack them up etc..but i got to the point i was fed up trying every white balance setting and doing custom wb wasnt working so i caved in,as much as i shouted loudly about jpeg and sooc im now a raw man ;)

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I would much rather shoot jpeg,get home resize wack them up etc..but i got to the point i was fed up trying every white balance setting and doing custom wb wasnt working so i caved in,as much as i shouted loudly about jpeg and sooc im now a raw man ;)

Yeah hear what you're saying. I'll give it a go and just see if my software is a bit more sensible about things nowadays.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Yeah hear what you're saying. I'll give it a go and just see if my software is a bit more sensible about things nowadays.

CS6 extended ,well the Adobe camera raw part of it is what ive used,tried lightroom and the nikon software and ACR is simple to use which it needs to be for me

Camera Shy

Regular User
I deleted RAW's for a while and regretted it massively when I looked back at how shit I'd edited them, now I have like 4 years worth of RAWs on several hard drives ! unless space is an issue I'd keep the RAW files.

Reactions: jST

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
The Nikon software is clunky but perfect, as per the camera. Lightroom doesn't really have a clue. Never used ACR.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I deleted RAW's for a while and regretted it massively when I looked back at how shit I'd edited them, now I have like 4 years worth of RAWs on several hard drives ! unless space is an issue I'd keep the RAW files.

All my old pictures suck. Deleting them is the ultimate edit they deserve.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
The Nikon software is clunky but perfect, as per the camera. Lightroom doesn't really have a clue. Never used ACR.

well i think lightroom is based on the adobe camera raw plugin,shout me later if you want the cs6 extended OT

Camera Shy

Regular User
Haha that's harsh, but also the point, you can salvage a lot more in RAW, crop an image and resize if necessary and still retain a lot of the quality.

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
RAW every time, I don't see the point shooting jpeg. It's kind of like having 20/20 vision then gouging one of your eyes out, lost potential. (not a great analogy but it'll do)

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
Depends how much you want to play with the image in post processing i guess, if you just post up straight out of the camera Raw is a bit pointless.

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details