real time web analytics
Question - - jpeg vs RAW... what's your opinion... | Photography and Video Forum | Page 5 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - jpeg vs RAW... what's your opinion...

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Do you prefer jpeg or RAW?

• Total voters

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Thanks Alley, I actually just tried UFRaw and it sucked.

Got good results from darktable though...

IymwBLT.jpg

I actually prefer the colours on the darktable export on the left.

Alley

Conspicuous Loiterer
Regular User
Yeah UFRaw is a bit sucky. It worked for me for a while but I find it doesn't display my wide angle shots properly - it cuts off the edges. It's ok to just do a quick white balance and exposure tweak.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Yeah UFRaw is a bit sucky. It worked for me for a while but I find it doesn't display my wide angle shots properly - it cuts off the edges. It's ok to just do a quick white balance and exposure tweak.

It couldn't interpret my raw files at all, was a mess.

Snake Oil

go in drains
28DL Full Member
I've tried ufraw (the standalone version) and wasn't too impressed with the results. Darktable just made my head explode with complicated stuff :/

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I've tried ufraw (the standalone version) and wasn't too impressed with the results. Darktable just made my head explode with complicated stuff :/

Yeah, that's nothing compared to RawTherapee.

So far, darktable has been the best balance of results and usability. Will test a couple of others tomorrow.

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
you can always make a jpeg out of a raw you cant make a raw out of a jpeg, unless storage space is an issue or you cba to process at all then its a no brainer... why throw away all that extra data

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
just in case anyone was unsure as well... raw is not meant for straight out of camera exporting to jpeg it is less contrasty and sharp and expects some degree of processing but all the extra data gives you pretty much +/- 2 stops of exposure to play with non-destructively much better white balance control etc etc

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Nikon to jpeg vs Ubuntu, UFRaw to GIMP to jpeg

12dsQlD.jpg

Plenty of tweaking, saturation, sharpening but still not sharp or saturated enough.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
None of them. Source file is the same, a RAW. Example above, left is processed with Ubuntu + darktable, right is processed with Windows plus Nikon NXView.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Think all my images are jpegs, but often take photos in both formats. Never got around to learning how to play/edit RAW files, but have the files just in case I ever can be bothered. Know I should put the effort in, but there's always another day.

Mr Sam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
me i just shoot Jpeg and straight off camera, my only editing is straightening, crop and the odd change of light levels via iPhoto ;) I won't pretend to claim my shots are anything decent but totally depends what you are doing..... Exploring or Photographing,

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details