real time web analytics
Report - - Jug Holes Fluorite Mine - December 2020 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Jug Holes Fluorite Mine - December 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
HISTORY - jug holes fluorite mine which was later worked for lead and spar, appears as an open cavern on the Noon Nick vein and may have been worked as far back as 1629. At the back of the opening are a series of fluorspar workings. the mine consists of a upper and lower series the upper series which requires the use of rope to navigate down (but can also be reached without by going around the back) consists of a series of chambers leading up into the hills.
The lower section which can be found by a gated entrance requiring the use of a Derbyshire key to enter takes you through a crawl through a section of short metal tubing into a passage way with an old cart and track still remaining. there is also a nice big open chamber with other small squeezes to explore.

THE EXPLORE - Having been out all day we didn't get here till dark so it was quite interesting firstly to try and find somewhere to park on the tight bendy roads around then also to try and find the pin in the dark, we did manage to find both sections and spent a few hours exploring both. these seem to be the places that caving clubs will take beginners to to get a feel for caving in general.

View attachment

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looks a interesting place mate and not to bad photos , think you would be personally a lot better of wearing a lid and a head torch though if ya need any help advice let me no happy to help :thumb
I use a head torch now and yeah after a few head bangs we did end up getting helmets,better late than never cheers anyway dude