real time web analytics
Report - - Kellingley Colliery aka. 'Big K' and the Death of UK Coal - Dec 2015 to Sept 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kellingley Colliery aka. 'Big K' and the Death of UK Coal - Dec 2015 to Sept 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Big 'K' is probably one of my 'most significant' explores that ive never bothered to write up. It was the culmination of about 5 years of exploring and documenting the demise of the UK coal industry and was a fitting send off for UK colliery exploring ticking just about every box.

No.2 Tower and The Fan Drift

I think the story really starts back in in 2010 when @dweeb dragged me along to have a go at the recently closed Welbeck colliery, i had done a few coal mines before that, Clipstone, Annesley, Castlebridge etc come to mind but Welbeck was the first of the UK Coal deep pit closures that i managed to catch right from day one and when everything was still intact.. It was a real mission (i think i even described it as 'a war' at the time) to get to see the whole place before it all got flattened. You see UK Coal wasn't just a coal mining company, it appeared at least to be a bit of a property development company too. They seemed to keep existing by closing down a pit every few years and selling it off for redevelopment. The knock on effect of this was that there was never really a chance for any of their colliery closures to get derelict, it seemed they closed and came down all in one fluid movement.

Coal Prep on the way in

Rail Loader

At Welbeck we did ok, Saw about 75% of the place before time ran out but there was also a lot we missed, some was down to timing, some down to the design of the place i guess. After it all eventually went i had a bit of a bug for coal and I knocked about at a few other older colliery closures again like Tower and Penallta but really i was waiting for the next biggy. It seemed like it should come at any moment but really it took at least 3 years and even then it was a little unexpected. Daw Mill was our local pit and we had been to look at parts of it while it was still live, there had been rumblings about it closing due to HS2 works and it was eventually announced it was closed in 2014. I was fairly phyced to get in there and did a few early recces but in the end it all went a bit wrong. To start with the colliery had a fire underground in early 2013. It wasn't clear exactly what was happening for quite a few months afterwards. It wasnt clear how much activity there would be on site, if the fire was even extinguished or if it would indeed closed for good. On top of that life had thrown a few curve balls and between house buying and various relationships going astray we didn't end up finding time to go look at the remains until well into 2014, nearly a year after it had closed! The baths had already gone at this point and we only really managed managed the headstocks, one winder and the workshops.. it felt like a fail then and still does now tbh...

No.1 Heapsted Area

No.1 Shaft Gates

Thankfully we didn't have too long to dwell on Daw Mill. Within a few weeks we were at our next closed colliery, Maltby in South Yorkshire. This pit was independently owned rather than being one of UK Coals sites but il include it anyway as it was both an amazing explore and a real eye opener to just how good the next few could be. We were again a little late for it. Demolition crews were on site already but we braved it one evening during the Easter holidays 2014 and it came off rather well. Maltby was on another scale to little old Welbeck with a proper modern concrete behemoth of a head stock. We managed more or less the whole site that night only leaving the bath house behind due to time constraints but I returned a year or so later to finish that after the rest had gone..

Shunter

Next on the list was Harworth. A strange pit that had been mothballed in 2006, there had been talk of it reopening but at the same time parts like the bathhouse had been demolished without anyone really noticing. By the time i started looking at it properly it was just the powerhouse and the two head stock / winder combos left. These were well guarded and it took a few goes to even get near in which time one head stock had succumbed to the sporadic demolition as well. Eventually in 2015 i did finally manage to get to see what remained and was pretty impressed.

Waiting for the cage

Aerial Walkway

By this point they were coming thick and fast, 3 epic coal explores in little over a year, but we were also aware that there wasn't many left! The next and penultimate closure at Thoresby was announced and we decided after our recent success at places like Teeside steel and various power stations which had largely been because we turned up real early doors before they had had a chance to do much securing or indeed turn the lights off we would try a similar tactic here. After a aborted daylight attempt we returned one night after dark and bloody hell what a master stroke, it felt like we would be busted any second but somehow we got away with it and it was a amazing, unbelievably intact in a way i hadn't seen a coal mine before.. Thoresby was a real treat but as with all the rest it seemed like no none else was really too interested.. It always seemed to be a handful of 'coal enthusiasts' exploring these places and they never 'hit the main stream' with only one pit now left that would change but maybe just a bit to late?

Lamp Room Racks

Lamp Hatch

And then there was one.. The actual subject of this report.. Big K was a 60s pit, an era of mine i wasn't overly familiar with. We knew closure was coming so we had been for a look. It looked good! More than good in fact so it was just a waiting game. Of course i had planned the same strategy as Thoresby.. get in early! but when the eventual closure id come on 19th of December 2015 even i was surprised when explorers tried to get in on the night it closed.. what was this?? people actually interested in collieries all of a sudden? Well it didn't go so well for those guys, they made it in the conveyors but little else. You see pits dont just close and shut up shop overnight. Things need decommissioning. This is what had always delayed us. Even at Thoresby we were a good few months after closure before we 'tried it early' here however there was a unique opportunity. Closing less than a week before Christmas it was just obvious when it needed to be done.

The Bath House

Christmas Day and Boxing day i just couldn't shake the family but come the 27th i drove up girlfriend in tow arriving late afternoon with just an hour or so of daylight left. Plan was to have a bit of a recce and find a feesable route in, grab some externals in the daylight and then do as much as we could after dark. We headed in over the railway at the back of the coal yard and picked our way across the yard to the first conveyor. The conveyor took us to coal prep but we wasted little time here as all the lighting was off and it wasn't appealing for photos in the fading light. Thankfully the site seemed dead tho, some machinery running here and there but not a soul stirring.

Lockers

At coal prep we came across a bit of a problem. I knew i wanted to be heading to the No.1 heapsted area. This shaft is where men and machinery entered the mine and was linked by aerial walkway to the bath house. In contrast No.2 headstock was where air was fed into the mine and the coal extracted. Even if we could have got past the airlocks there wouldn't have been much to see other than a hole in the ground on that side.. Trouble is between us and both there was nothing but an expanse of sloppy coal quicksand. Where ever i tried to cross i ended up knee deep in it and with an accomplice who it has to be said was less than enthused about spending her Christmas holiday in a coal mine in the first place she was even more than less than enthused about getting stuck up to her waist in sludge in the process.. Somehow we managed it tho, it wasn't quick, pretty or at all stealthily (think stuck in the middle of a yard of coal sludge whailing for help...) and it certainly wasn't clean but we got across some how ending up in completely the wrong place, the base of No.2 head stock.

Baths

While here i had a quick run round and checked if the No.2 tower was accessible.. It wasn't, the towers are accessed by lift with some emergency stairs but both were locked solid on this side. All we could find were the conveyors were coal was unloaded. The coal comes up the shaft in skips and goes through a kind of airlock arrangement before being dumped out here and conveyed over to the coal prep / washery. We eventually made it to the No.1 shaft and thankfully as this doesn't need to be air tight we managed to find a hole to squeeze though and get in.. Light were on and rails in the floor lead to and from the gated shaft head.. But whats this? theres only a bloody train! Presumably used to shunt equipment in and out the cage. This was looking good already!

Workers Entrance

After photographing the train we headed up to the next level above. This is where men would have entered the triple decker cages to be taken in and out the mine. There was stairs here to go a bit higher, as it would turn out they got you all the way to the top with a bit of out of the box thinking but at the time i doubted they would.. The official access to the tower was outside and was locked just like No.2 tower so at the time we pressed on towards the baths thinking we would return and check on our way back, usually a foolish decision...

Obligatory Comfy Chair

Winder Controls

We took the aerial walkway towards the bath house. As i had expected there was a gate here but we managed to get over the top and dropped down into the lamp room where the miners would have picked up lamps and been checked in underground.. This where the second slightly comedy moment of total non-stealth cropped up.. I took two steps into the lamp room and it felt like all hell broke loose, suddenly there noises and red lights flashing and god knows what.. had we triggered an alarm?? Nope just a fucking light up sign on a trip beam! The sign was supposed to remind miners to check themselves for contraband, that is items that were banned underground mainly because they could potentially start a fire, everything from matches and electronic devices to kit-kat wrappers.. The sign was activated by an invisible laser trip beam across the room so every time someone left the lamp room to go underground the sign would flash... Coming the other way in the dusk, with security virtually just outside the window it was a bit of a ring clenching moment! Even after realising what was going on there was a frantic attempt to make it stop and then after it did stop a fairly frantic couple of minuets trying to slyly look out the windows to check security had been looking the other way until we could continue!

Winders

After we had calmed down a little we headed through to the baths, really mint but if there was one point on the site i thought we might run into people it was in the locker rooms so we went carefully. The lockers here were the familiar 'modern' style that had been salvaged from the selby complex and refitted into a few of UK coals other pits as 'modernisation'.. Some lockers were open but i didnt rummage as i didnt fancy its owner walking round the corner half way through! We proceeded from the baths down onto the ground floor and stuck our heads into the canteen area but decided we were pushing our luck a bit as there were lots of ground level windows and anyone outside would have seen us much more easily than we would see them! We found a door we could open and bailed across the yard checking out the still running fan drift on or way out.

The last ever British Coal

Heading back south i was all hyped to write this report but after getting home and logging on the forum guess what? Beaten too it! Turned out @AndyK had been there the day before.. (If i had a penny for the amount of times thats happened since!) my thoughts at the time? something along the lines of wtf! people actually exploring collierys??! Fair play to Andy tho his report was epic and he had seen one bit i had missed, the No.1 Winder tower! That set of stairs we had dismissed must have been the one after all so within a few days i was back for round two..

Last edited:

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Same entry as before, solo this time and much later in the evening. The Christmas holidays were over now so i wasn't even sure if they would be working when i arrived, luckily it appeared not. Knowing the route in i made my way straight through to the head stock and up the stairs we had missed. This lead to an external staircase that wound around the outside of the headstock a few times before heading through a hatch into a room where you could see the lower half of the wheels. It was a bit exposed on the stairs but there didn't seem to be anyone around to see me so it went well enough. I seem to remember squeezing though a gap and then finding myself on a sub level where you could access the main stairs. Tentatively i made my way up to the next level where i found the winder control cabins, thankfully deserted too! One unusual feature of BigK was that each shaft had two sets of cages, and therefore essentially two winders and two sets of controls for each shaft. I guess Harworth and Maltby would have had similar but being a more modern designs they didn't have the same kind of twin controls..

The Big K

Conveyor City

Where it all went

Where the rest went

Next level up was the winders themselves. Somehow they had wedged the door shut into here but as they had clearly done it from the outside i managed, with a load of wiggling, to get it open anyway. What a pair of hunnies! Lovely pair of British Thompson Huston winders and of course as they were essentially still fully live and operational it was really cool to be in there with all the ancillarys like lubrication pumps humming away.

The other Big K

Bog Graffiti

Notice from the early days

The ghost of Budge

Heading down again i popped out onto the stairs just on time to see security on the patrol. I sat them out for what felt like half hour or so but they seemed persistent and i started to get a little paranoid they may be on to me so after a bit of deliberation i decided to make a break for it. Foolish maybe but it worked. I got out the building just as they drove passed, slipped across the road behind them and legged it across the coal yard out. They didn't persue.

Lampmans Workshop

Lampmans Lamps

Lampmans Mess

Lampmans Shrine to 'Keeley'

After this close shave i did consider another trip, i was aware i hadn't managed the No.2 tower but as it lacked the same kind of external staircase as No.1 i was a bit out of ideas on other methods of attack while the airlock was sealed tight. 'Give it a few months' i thought..

Office Block and No.2 Tower

9 months later.. Yeh that few months turned into 9.. The pit was well and truly on the tourbus by now, still no one had done the No.2 tower but a few rooms that were locked on our original trips seemed to have opened up and as the first few conveyors were starting to come down it was definitely the time for one last look. Myself @dweeb and @Six headed in a slightly different way to my usual and found our self in the bath house before too long. The lamp room itself had been emptied but several workshop rooms had opened up that were just rammed with stuff. Probably the best rooms for rummaging i had see in a colliery. So much to find big and small!

Eternally Christmas

Social Club Ship

The lockers had all been emptied and their contents bagged for some reason so we just went through the bags instead. Again after a long time rummaging we suddenly realised we were not alone. We could hear footsteps and upon investigation i could see a bloke dart from room to room further down the corridor.. Was he looking for us or just another explorer having a rummage? He seemed in a hurry but didn't seem to make much progress towards us? who knows.. Annoyingly there wasn't really any other option but to bail from that area at least. We managed to all get to the stairs and squeeze through some asbestos sheeting to get down to the ground floor. Trouble is the bloke seemed to be on the ground floor now as well. It was a proper game of cat and mouse trying to second guess if he had gone or if he was still in the area. Just as we decided he had probably gone you would hear him again in the room next door..! We tentatively made our way around most of the ground floor while somehow avoiding him.

The Last Wind

The Stabbers

Tommo and the Wash Plant

After our run in with the man we decided to leave the baths. I really wanted to do the missing headstock but luck was not on our side, we saw yet more people and had to settle for heading over to coal prep and hit some of the workshops before leaving several hours later.

Coal Prep

Workshops

Correct!

and thats that.. All done​

Attachments

• Img_8948mod.jpg
    Img_8948mod.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Img_9193mod.jpg
    Img_9193mod.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Seffy

Staff member
As thorough and in-depth as would expect from yourself - good show that mate!

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
The kind of content we all like. Never visited here but looks like the one, particularly like the shower room - reminds me of big pit. @Terminal Decline still got your books in my room...

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
That’s a banger of a report, great documentation of the coal :thumb

I am glad I got to see Tower before it got heavily trashed; I am gutted I live a bit too far south for some proper colliery explores!

xplorer.x

Ignorant Youth
Banned
Great stuff. Thoroughly enjoyed reading that. A top genre of place I'd love to visit if I could turn back time.

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Bloody well written and documented report. Utterly criminal how not a single NCB era colliery has been preserved, and how every single fragmented remains which have been spared demolition in the past couple of decades are unloved and still continue to decay.
@Olkka you're in the waiting list for collection. I'm aiming to pick them up at some point in the next 3 - 10 months

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Really well written & photographed. Always makes for a better report to re visit such a huge site. Glad you finally posted it. Some crackers coming out. This is another cracking report:thumb

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
Great report. Shame about the demise of deep level coal mining. Shame I missed about on big K. Looked a pretty incredible explore.

Who has read this thread (Total: 215) View details