real time web analytics
Report - - Kelvedon Hatch Nuclear Bunker 15.9.07 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kelvedon Hatch Nuclear Bunker 15.9.07

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

J

jimshoe

Please excuse me if this is old news to hardened explorers but I visited Kelvedon bunker today and was completely knocked out!

Yes, I know it's not strictly UE, but the place is incredible.

From the time I arrived to when I left I did not see a single soul! I was completely alone! Entrance fee and even the cafe at the end were all based on honesty - fantastic

What really got me was that as you wander (freely) around there are old documents and stuff everywhere that you can pick up and read. Many are marked conidential and are an incredible insight into the cold war . . .

Visiting the first thing you see is the entrance, which is secured inside what looks like a fairly average house - albeit hidden in the woods in the middle of nowhere!

Little-house-in-th-woods.jpg

Once inside you wander down a tunnel

Entrance-tunnel.jpg

With all sorts of stuff on the way

Geiger-counters.jpg

Geiger.jpg

Before arriving at a fairly substantial blast door

Blast-Door.jpg

Inside the place is huge with all sorts of old equipment, documents and stuff lying around

Tons-of-Geiger-counters.jpg

Switchboard.jpg

Speech-not-secure.jpg

water-is-rationed.jpg

Documents.jpg

Chart.jpg

Bunks.jpg

Suitcase.jpg

I thought it was incredible and wonderful that the owners trust visitors not to steal or bugger about with all the wonderful stuff inside. It was amazing to pick up and read documents and technical manuals - there are even old mobile phones (monsters from the 80's) just lying on desks!

Fantastic

I may have been lucky to be completely alone on my visit - all I saw was a cat - but even with other people the sensation of history brought to life is unlike anything I've ever seen