real time web analytics
Report - - Kettleness & Sandsend Tunnels | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kettleness & Sandsend Tunnels

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mike26

28DL Member
28DL Member
Kettleness & Sandsend Tunnels

I know there has been a few reports on these two tunnels but I thought I'd do a report for the visit me and my mate made last Saturday.

It was a cold wet day and armed with a lantern, two torches and camera we set off from Kettleness along the Cleveland Way to the north portal of the Kettleness Tunnel.

Kettleness Tunnel
308 yards long

Sandsend Tunnel
1652 yards long

Both tunnels were opened in 1883 and closed in 1958

Making our way in...
tunnelpics054.jpg

About half way through we noticed a small ventilation tunnel branching off which required a small amount of exploring.

tunnelpics031.jpg

tunnelpics058.jpg

If we had been wearing wellies we would have ventured through this to see where it led to....

Any way on with our trek..
We passed through the Kettleness Tunnel really quickly and onto the ledge where the track used to run. Didn't take us long until we spotted the portal for the Sandsend tunnel

tunnelpics007.jpg

Some of the old railway sleepers
tunnelpics042.jpg

The collapse of the north portal - some parts of it look fairly recent :(
tunnelpics014.jpg

After climbing over the rocks we made it into the tunnel. It is an eerie feeling walking into pure darkness but as we approached the first air shaft we could see the south portal - a tiny dot of light in the distance.

Unfortunately my camera screwed around with the date and time so I can't work out the order the pictures were taken in so have added a collection of pictures that we took in the tunnel.

tunnelpics017.jpg

tunnelpics008.jpg

tunnelpics055.jpg

I remember seeing pictures of the first drainage tunnel being clear but this now looks like it has since collapsed at the cliff end as you can no longer see daylight.

tunnelpics061.jpg

The second drainage tunnel is still clear though...

tunnelpics040.jpg

We had struggled getting though some places of the tunnel because of water and clay but had managed to find a way round but once we approached shaft number 5 we could go no further as we didn't have the right footwear and weren't sure how deep the water was :(

tunnelpics034.jpg

Any way that was the end of our adventure and headed back to the car in Kettleness then off for some fish n chips.

Hope you enjoyed the report :D

Richard

28DL Member
28DL Member
It seems you visited on a good day like us the other day. We went through the last adit (with the ladders) almost to the end but my wellies sunk so I got cold and wet. One of my crew is part of the mining heritage and says they are the old boundary fence, not a line of sleepers as you called it :) It's a great place, good post

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It seems you visited on a good day like us the other day. We went through the last adit (with the ladders) almost to the end but my wellies sunk so I got cold and wet. One of my crew is part of the mining heritage and says they are the old boundary fence, not a line of sleepers as you called it :) It's a great place, good post

Look forward to seeing your up to date report from here :thumb

Admittedly the worst report photo wise ive ever seen from here. Why you dug this one out ?

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details