real time web analytics
Report - - Khursheed Jah Devdi, Hyderabad, India - March 2022 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Khursheed Jah Devdi, Hyderabad, India - March 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

HertSeeker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi All, during a time where I lived in Hyderabad, India, I heard about a European styled architectural marvel which had last been used as a women's college in 2008 and had fallen into a state of disrepair.

As with many historical sites in India, background information can be a little hard to come by. This palace is known locally as Khursheed Jah Devdi, where Devdi means Lord's House. The Devdis of Hyderabad were traditional fortified structures built in the 18th and 19th centuries however these were considered old fashioned following the completion of the British Residency constructed at the turn of the 19th century.

The construction of this particular Devdi was undertaken by the House of Paigah, a noble family holding honorary monarchal status (behind the Nizam - rulers of Hyderabad State). Sir Khurshid Jah, a prominent figure in the Paigah lineage, was awarded the distinguished title of Knight Commander of the Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire during the Jubilee celebration of the Queen's reign in 1877. The palace, thus, served as a symbol of the family's prestige and influence.

Once a haven of luxury, Khursheed Jah Devdi boasted extravagant interiors adorned with luxurious carpets and exclusive chandeliers. Its lush gardens, adorned with vibrant flowers and enchanting fountains, created an ambiance of unmatched beauty. The winds of change swept over Hyderabad in 1948 following Indian Independence, leading to a significant political shift. As the Paigahs relocated with their power and influence reducing, the burden of maintaining the palace became too great. Eventually, it fell into the hands of the government, and sadly, its historical value was overlooked. Despite once being classified as a Grade-3 heritage structure by the Hyderabad Metropolitan Development Authority, in 2015, the Telangana government revoked the legal protection granted and the building has been allowed to fall into ruin. This abandonment left the palace vulnerable to the whims of filmmakers, who have modified the structure to suit their artistic visions, often damaging its fragile interiors and disregarding its historical significance.

When I visited in March 2022, the once luscious grounds of the majestic building were being used for countless games of cricket, while the building itself serving as shelter and playground to some of the families living in the neighbourhood.

2022-03-27 17.32.37 2.JPG

2022-03-27 17.12.19.JPG

2022-03-27 17.18.26.JPG

2022-03-27 17.16.04.JPG

2022-03-27 17.14.25.JPG

Following my visit, I was delighted to discover that as of January 2023, there are ambitious plans underway to restore the dilapidated structure, breathing new life into its weathered walls for cultural and official purposes. While this may not align with the adventurous spirit of urban exploration, it is important to restore some of our historical treasures before they are lost forever. This abandoned palace stands as a poignant reminder of the delicate balance between progress and heritage, urging us to champion the cause of restoration and safeguard the soul of our cities.

HertSeeker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It seems like there was a lot of interest in my urbex report! Regrettably I moved home from India last year however a good friend of mine managed to capture some additional photos, and they have generously allowed me to share them with all of you!

Here's part of the original structure - possibly part of an exterior wall - now forming part of this lovely purple house!

IMG_4488.jpeg

Though now worn and weathered, the tiles at the entrance still radiate a unique allure.

IMG_4500.jpeg

Here is what I believe is one of the reception rooms - once an enchanting space where sophisticated galas and memorable events once flourished. Today, however, a different story unfolds. Now, this remarkable room finds itself repurposed, serving as a humble space to hang washing.

IMG_4503.jpeg

As we venture further upstairs, the decaying beauty of the palace becomes more pronounced. While the exact purpose of this particular room remains a mystery, the ornate cornicing adorning its walls offers tantalising hints of the grandeur it once possessed.

IMG_4542.jpeg

I hope you enjoyed this update!