real time web analytics
Report - - Kings Hall Cinema, Southall, London - September 2017 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kings Hall Cinema, Southall, London - September 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Landie_Man

"Landie" or Harry
Regular User
Kings Hall Cinema, Southall, London - September 2017

Interesting one this one! I'd wanted to do this for a while and had been planning to in the coming weeks but had been put off with the idea of its "unique access" which requires some planning in terms of times of entry!

Situated on a very busy road with lots of passersby and businesses open till the very wee hours, there is a very small window to get inside as the Night Shift commute changes to the Early and Day Shift Commute.

When we arrived it was around midnight and the streets were busy. We were in London so went for a little drive for an hour or so before returning.

Visited with a non-member back in September;when inside we had a little lie down in a dark corner for an hour or so to allow the sun to rise just a little bit, and spent about 2 hours light painting the rooms which were boarded and anything which the abundance of daylight wouldn't help.

It's a very interesting building with lots to shoot photos of and with my "loaded" parking meter fast running out, we didn't have as much time inside as we would have liked.

The air inside is terrible (understandably) and the damp has caused the parquet floors inside much of the building to bow upwards, making an interesting effect!

We started shooting inside the main hall at around 6am and spent some time chilling here and getting photos as the sun came up, but we only had till 8am on the car park. The street was already very busy down below by 6am and the main hall had a hue of red from some of the shops signage.

When it did become time to leave, we had to jump into a street full of commuters. We were not getting out without being seen. It was 7:45am and the bus stops had queues of people at them. As I was leaving I did attempt to not be seen, but a middle aged chap turned round and looked right at me. I wished him a good morning, jumped down and walked off to get my externals. He certainly looked slightly bewildered.

The cinema come Methodists Church is located in Southall, Middlesex, in the west of Greater London. The King’s Hall was constructed in 1916; designed by architect Sir Alfred Gelder of Hull.

The site has a 3-storey red brick and stone facade. It was originally operated by the Uxbridge and Southall Wesleyan Mission and was soon playing religious films. By 1926, Kings Hall was operating as a regular cinema; but was however still managed by the Methodist church.

The Cinema was closed in 1937. It then converted back to its original Methodist Church use, and today is the King’s Hall Methodist Church.

Some interesting and otherwise controversial quotes taken from comments when closure was announced.

The church vacated the site in 2012.

More Info at:
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/31352

37129175503_352cb89319_b.jpg

37751134366_a3b854230a_b.jpg

37751163556_b39c25bb56_b.jpg

37751031526_5e9a642183_b.jpg

37767276652_4492dce143_b.jpg

37799273821_ffc1044310_b.jpg

37751563256_5387e3b474_b.jpg

37090055024_d2f420fa38_b.jpg

37767251012_93f5368094_b.jpg

37751321676_d075571621_b.jpg

37751293486_068896c760_b.jpg

37751358706_d946513b61_b.jpg

37767655922_64fd495bab_b.jpg

37129201753_a7dff67436_b.jpg

37799445341_2308ac07d8_b.jpg

More At:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157688232708403

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice:thumb Some lovely architectural work there. That wave/hump in the parquet flooring is that natural decay or an effect you have used? Its probably a daft question as im no photographer by want to learn a bit more, what is light painting?

Loved the write up & planning too. Sitting in a dark corner for a while, wow thats serious Kudos. :thumb

Landie_Man

"Landie" or Harry
Regular User
Nice:thumb Some lovely architectural work there. That wave/hump in the parquet flooring is that natural decay or an effect you have used? Its probably a daft question as im no photographer by want to learn a bit more, what is light painting?

Loved the write up & planning too. Sitting in a dark corner for a while, wow thats serious Kudos. :thumb

Thank you for the kind words :-), As I say, the effect is caused by the damp lifting the parquet floor and constant heating and cooling down through the seasons of disuse.

Light Painting is a way of lighting an image without using any flash. Set the camera on fully Manual and the desired F-stop, ISO and shutter speed, if its totally dark I would go for 30 seconds or bulb, but sometimes if the light is creeping in you can go far less. Take your Lenser and put it onto the longest beam setting and light the very centre of your shot, fully zoom in and focus on the spot your lighting, pull out to wide again and then press the shutter. Use the torch to "paint" everything in the background as fast as you can. You can zoom the beam in to do hard to reach spots in the shot. It will take practice to get right; I'm not amazing myself. You may need to adjust F stop, shutter speed, torch brightness etc to get it totally right

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Thank you for the kind words :-), As I say, the effect is caused by the damp lifting the parquet floor and constant heating and cooling down through the seasons of disuse.

Light Painting is a way of lighting an image without using any flash. Set the camera on fully Manual and the desired F-stop, ISO and shutter speed, if its totally dark I would go for 30 seconds or bulb, but sometimes if the light is creeping in you can go far less. Take your Lenser and put it onto the longest beam setting and light the very centre of your shot, fully zoom in and focus on the spot your lighting, pull out to wide again and then press the shutter. Use the torch to "paint" everything in the background as fast as you can. You can zoom the beam in to do hard to reach spots in the shot. It will take practice to get right; I'm not amazing myself. You may need to adjust F stop, shutter speed, torch brightness etc to get it totally right

Surprising I understood alot of that lol. Ah so thats how its done. Thankyou for taking the time to explain it. Im upgrading camera soon, and not sure if im going Canon or Nikon . But feel the need to start to improve my photos, so been reading a wee bit about settings, quality, shutter speed, etc. This will help alot with my attempts at dark shots, they come out grainy on standard flash and fast shutter. But thats my old compact. I had a canon dslr but never used it as too many features, kicking myself yrs later that I didnt learn sooner. Cheers Landie _Man :thumb

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Certainly not what comes to mind when thinking about Southall.. not bad that mate!

Landie_Man

"Landie" or Harry
Regular User
Certainly not what comes to mind when thinking about Southall.. not bad that mate!

Thanks Seffy. Well worth the camp out for an hour or two as it got light! Those chairs aren't too bad if you spread a coat out!

bigbadash

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Is it? I stand corrected. There's is a shop there with red lettering on the front though sort of toward the front of the place.
I think so Landie, as I was sitting waiting like yourself for the sun to rise the red kept appearing then disappearing, so figured it was the traffic lights

Landie_Man

"Landie" or Harry
Regular User
I think so Landie, as I was sitting waiting like yourself for the sun to rise the red kept appearing then disappearing, so figured it was the traffic lights

What I want to know is, and I'm sure everyone else who had to enter at an ungodly hour, who eats ice cream at 5:30am! (Entry is of course another time but the parlour is still open!)