real time web analytics
Report - - King's Meadow Swimming Pool, Reading, Berkshire. January 2013 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - King's Meadow Swimming Pool, Reading, Berkshire. January 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

advent

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey guy's so my second explore, but my first permission visit!

We parked up, and saw plenty of people walking in and out with camera's and cargo crates. After a 15 minutes struggle with parking we saw a big, sparkling Mercedes S-Class turn up. So we left the car and and walked over.

History- King's Meadow swimming pool is a disused open air swimming pool located in King's Meadow in Reading, Berkshire. It was first opened to the public in 1903 as the Ladies Swimming Bath and is believed to be the oldest surviving outdoor municipal pool of a similar early Edwardian era. In August 2004, as a result of a campaign, the building was awarded Grade II listed building status.

Currently -During the 1990s, the Reading Dive Club took a lease on the premises and have established a non-swimming meeting place. The outside of the building has been graffitied, vandalised and has fallen into disrepair. Reading Borough Council invited proposals for the future of the site and, in April 2009, developers Askett Hawk were given permission to build a hotel at the site.
In September 2009, the council rejected the proposal to grant a 250-year lease to Askett Hawk and decided to give a local campaign group the opportunity to develop a scheme to restore the pool for public use.

"Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Meadow_swimming_pool"

So when we peered through the door and looked inside we noticed some guy, who my friend asked if we could have a look around, not recognizing him as the one and only PAUL MARTIN!!!! from BBC's Flog It!!!! Who is doing a documentary about raising funds for the renovation of the site!

Derping and Trolling with the Celebs =]
derpntroll800_zpse326d8e7.jpg

I met a Dear Old Lady whom along with a few other pensioners spent a couple of months cleaning out the pool from all the rubbish and debris. She even told me apparently there are fish alive in there!!!
IMG_0224800_zpsf7a4c5c4.jpg

It's nice to see these old signs, I hope they keep as many original features if they do restore it!
IMG_0222800_zps1cb15394.jpg

IMG_0220_zps93a90252.jpg

IMG_0232800_zps6e65b090.jpg

Film Crew interviewing former patrons of the swimming pool

800_zps7307872f.jpg

An Art exhibition is currently being organised.
IMG_0227800_zps85b958eb.jpg

IMG_0226800_zps4fda4f80.jpg

Lockers inside a changing area!
IMG_0221800_zps64e73cf4.jpg

Mucho Lovo! Advent