real time web analytics
Report - - Kingsdown Quarry/Swan Mine - Wiltshire - August 2016 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kingsdown Quarry/Swan Mine - Wiltshire - August 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
Kingsdown was a less important working, it was not viable to lay down trolley roads (tramways) and the stone was carried away by horse drawn wagons or carts, it was the last quarry to do this. Parts of the quarry were worked by up to three different quarrymasters at the same time, they all shared the main haul road in and out of the quarry.

From 1886 George Wilbraham Northey, Esq leased a part to Richard Joseph Marsh and Company Ltd, in December 1887 this was taken over by the Bath Stone Firms Ltd. Marsh then formed a new company named Marsh, Son and Gibbs Ltd, who worked another part of Kingsdown Quarry, and their business was bought by the Bath Stone Firms Ltd in 1909.

A Box quarryman named George Butt also worked part of Kingsdown Quarry, after his death the business continued under the style of George Butt and Sons until 1932. The last newcomer to dig stone in Kingsdown Quarry was A W Angell of Bathford from 1921 to 1926.

The Explore
This was our fist stop on our weekender in Wiltshire and what a great start as well. Some great little pieces down there including one of the original cranes as the far end of the mine. Visited with @Porker of the night
Shameful to say we lost our bearings once in there :coatbut it was all sh*ts and giggles. It also has a little visitors book to sign about 3/4's of the way down which is a nice touch.

On to the pictures

1F_zpscxlk9jpb.jpg

2F_zps1wtgvcgx.jpg

3F_zpsbcbeyhmc.jpg

4F_zpslxbos8nt.jpg

5F_zpsfmmsyxyx.jpg

6. @Porker of the night
6_zpsmw6i5cyc.jpg

7F_zpsorsurveh.jpg

8F_zpsgwhj6zyl.jpg

9F_zpskegtthlk.jpg

10F_zpsiflcctqc.jpg