real time web analytics
Report - - Kingsdown/Swan Quarry - Wiltshire - July 2014 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kingsdown/Swan Quarry - Wiltshire - July 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
When I get to Junction 17 on the M4 I always get an excited feeling and this day was no different. I had a few work meetings in bath so while down this way it would be rude not to visit a Quarry and Kingsdown was one I'd always missed.

Solo visit.

Kingsdown Quarry started producing stone in 1833 and by the standards of the other quarries in the area like Box and Browns is quite small. Its set into a hillside opposite the Swan Pub and stops the pub from sliding down the hill with chains buried within the workings. It has a number of falls and is really dodgy looking in some areas but this adds to its character. I was surprised by the number tools left in here and the condition of the crane, this made it well worth the effort.

Stone pillar with the fall near the entrance in the background.
Swan0009_zpsb083eea6.jpg

Rails in the roof
Swan0008_zps6e66a8b6.jpg

Hoof prints
Swan0007_zps02605d63.jpg

Cart tracks
Swan0006_zpsd13be661.jpg

Swan0005_zps234dc519.jpg

What I came for
Swan0001_zps0f335a7f.jpg

Swan0002_zps74a96037.jpg

Swan0004_zpsc5c093af.jpg

Swan0003_zps2f7fc3b8.jpg

Falling out of the mine entrance into the road in front of the pub garden full of punters was a good comedy moment.... for them.

Cheers for looking

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Some nice photies mate, thanks for putting them up. Interesting about the pub sliding down the hill :)

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
Always liked this one - did you sign the guest book (assuming it's still there)?

popeass1

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You're lucky to see the crane in its glory, someone recently broke the chain off, and it was only just reattached. I don't suppose you noticed if there were yellow spray paint and blue chalk arrows everywhere? I only ask because they've only appeared in the last month, and I'm trying to work out when it was done

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
small but perfectly formed this one. Really enjoy visiting the place. You got some nice pics, glad you finally got around to taking a look :thumb

FaZy_UK

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I really like Kingsdown... Took the Girlfriend round here on Saturday... Always like to surprise people on the way out by saying "alright, seeya" and jumping head first through letterbox...

The Franconian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
what does it look like on the other side, that letterbox ?
felt no ground, but pressure on my breast when I slipped in;
didn't trust that situation and went back out to avoid getting trapped hanging in a hole
(4 mines, 3 times stuck this day)