Report - - Kingseat Hospital NZ, Jan 2010 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kingseat Hospital NZ, Jan 2010


28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So just got my hard drive and i guess i thought i took A: better photos and B: more ...
sorry in advance but i thought it was still worth a LOOK ?... taken on a iphone so and they are not the best but ...

Also this site is now owned by some organization and you can even live there in one of the many 12 room villas if ya so wish, but the section we looked at was the Maximum Security section which is of limits so far ! !

The construction of Kingseat Hospital began in 1929 when twenty patients from a nearby mental institution came to the site along with twelve wheelbarrows and ten shovels. Kingseat Hospital was named after a hospital in Aberdeenshire, Scotland following Dr. Gray (the Director-General of the Mental Health Division of the Health Department at the time) returning from an overseas trip, who felt it appropriate to have a sister hospital with the same name in New Zealand.
Flower gardens, shrubs and trees were grown in the grounds of Kingseat Hospital such as surplus plants from the Ellerslie Racecourse and Norfolk Island pines originally seeds from Sir George Grey's garden on Kawau Island.


Kingseat Hospital was in operation from 1932, In 1939, the Public Works Department and Fletcher Construction Company, Ltd. agreed on the construction of a two-storey nurses home at Kingseat Hospital, with the government to provide the steel for the building. The hospital grew throughout the mid-late 1930s and 1940s to such an extent that by the beginning of 1947, there were over eight hundred patients, During the 1950s, Dr. Henry Bennett (the man whom the mental health wing at Waikato Hospital is named after) was a senior medical officer of health at Kingseat Hospital. From 1964, In 1968, certain nurses at Kingseat Hospital went on strike, which forced the administration to invite unemployed people and volunteers to assist within the hospital grounds with domestic chores. In 1973, a therapeutic pool was opened by the then-Mayoress of Auckland, Mrs. Barbara Goodman, four years before the main swimming pool was added to the hospital in 1977. The site celebrated its 50th anniversary jubilee in 1982. During the 1970s and 1980s, there were many places attached to psychiatric hospitals in New Zealand where alcoholics were treated for their drinking addictions and Villas 4 and 11 at Kingseat Hospital served this purpose. In 1996, South Auckland Health sold Kingseat Hospital after government decisions to replace ongoing hospitalisation of mentally ill patients with community care and rehabilitation units, (Caring in the community big prob the community does not give a shit) This led to the eventual closure of Kingseat Hospital in July 1999, when the final patients were re-located off the complex to a mental health unit in Otara.

Back in the day:
John Te K@#$%
John is 54 years old and lives at Mangere Road, Otahuhu, with five flatmates. John lived at Homai College, Kingseat Hospital, Mangere Hospital and St John’s, and came to Mangere Road from St John’s in 1991.

John was about 12 when he first went to Kingseat Hospital. It was 1965.

John was born in the Cook Islands, but was brought to New Zealand by an auntie to have an eye operation – he’s been here ever since.

John is totally blind and has been all his life.

John says that Kingseat Hospital was “a solid metal place where you couldn’t get out”. On some occasions, people would be locked in for up to four days of the week.

There were no sports or games at Kingseat Hospital, but there was a recreation hall where John used to go to the pictures.

John also lived in Unit Five, a maximum security unit at Mangere Hospital where he was locked up “the whole time”.

One of John’s worst memories was getting thrown in the deep end of a swimming pool by staff.

At Mangere Hospital, it was ‘first up, best dressed’. The clothes were all in one big room and the staff would just get anything out for people to wear on the day.

The worst thing about being in the institutions was when parents used to take their family member out for the holidays – John had no one to take him out and was very lonely. It isn’t such a problem now that he lives in the community, because he can go out with staff.

John’s been living at Mangere Road for 18 years now and likes it a lot.

He says the best thing about living at Mangere Road is that he gets on well with his flatmates and enjoys talking to them. John enjoys the company and freedom there.

John’s lived most of his life in institutions. When asked what the best thing about them was, he couldn’t think of anything. The best thing about living where he lives now is that he gets on well with his flatmates and one of them is his best mate.

“I enjoy the company and my freedom… I do everything that I want to do.”

Excerpt from "Extraordinary Journeys - 12 extraordinary people retrace their journeys from institutional care to supported community living..."






















so looks like i need to go back and add to this me thinks ?
enjoy cheers


Last edited: