real time web analytics
Report - - Kingsway Tram Tunnel, Holborn, London - January 2020 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kingsway Tram Tunnel, Holborn, London - January 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Kingsway Tram tunnel in Holborn, completed in 1906, only served as part of an active tram line until 1952, shortly before trams were removed from London's streets altogether. Over the years the tunnel has been repurposed several times and was even utilised in 2008 as a film set for "The Escapist". Nowadays, It's under the ownership of Crossrail, who's using it as one of their many underground storage spaces.

After receiving a tip-off from another forum member about access, myself, @James Cross and our mate Brandon were quite quick to get involved. Admittedly, the tunnel was a little bland in places, although it was good to see Crossrail hadn't torn down any of the signage from the film set.
Firstly, we began to explore the southern end of the tunnel, and with the roof becoming increasingly lower, we had soon realised we'd gone from an upright walking position to more of an army crawl. However, despite none of us suffering from claustrophobia, the dense concrete environment ahead didn't exactly draw us in, and we soon began to retrace our steps in the direction of the more spacious section.
Now heading towards the derelict film set, I soon realised there was natural light beaming in from the open end of the tunnel, luckily, before I had a chance to investigate, @James Cross was quick to mention the newly installed sensors they'd put along the main access gate. Phew!
So, after an hour or so of wandering around the derelict film set and photographing some of Crossrail's dumped equipment, we thought it best to make a move.
Still a location worth taking a look at, and it probably won't be all that long before it's made more secure, definitely glad we got in when we did...

4. (2008 film set signage)

5. (Staircase to the surface)

10. (Selfie time)

Kingsway over and out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ahah I am new in the game so need to know the classics ^^
I say “classic”, all I really mean is this place has been on the cards for quite a while lol. Still definitely worth a look. Although I’m not sure what the situation is with it these days to be fair

Who has read this thread (Total: 210) View details