real time web analytics
Report - - Kirklees College/ Old Huddersfield Royal Infirmary - Jan 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kirklees College/ Old Huddersfield Royal Infirmary - Jan 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Worm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The New Road Campus has been home to its various named College incarnations since the 1967 when the College paid £105,000 for the site. The former Ramsden Technical College was opened in 1967 with the main block being opened in 1971 - which was the same year it became Huddersfield Technician college. By 1978 they were more 8,000 Students studying on the site. In 2008 Huddersfield Technical College merged with Dewsbury College to form Kirklees College.

The site which now consists of 10 linked buildings ranging from Grade 2 listed Hospital buildings to modern blocks of classroms. It totals up yo 342,000 sq/ft over a 6.1 Acre site, which includes the original Grade 2 listed Hospital buildings. It has impressive original sandstone columns identical to those on the nearby Huddersfield Railway Station which you can see in the photos. With the statue of Edward the VII now looking over the car park.

The College has recently moved into a new purpose build waterfront development for £60M which will welcome 20K Students.

The old site has been purchased by Oldham based Wiggett Construction Company for an undisclosed sum Suggestions for the site include a Supermarket, a Care or Medical Centre, with the final potion un-allocated. The local Lidl has confirmed it will move to the new location from its local Castlegate site. It's believed to be in 2016 when this happens.

The former hospital building has being used for psychological thriller Extremis, starring David O’Hara (Braveheart, The Departed, Luther), Isabelle Allen (Les Miserables), Neil Pearson (Drop the Dead Donkey); and 1980s singer Toyah Wilcox.

Black Work,a drama starring acclaimed actress Sheridan Smith, was filmed last Autumn partly in the hospital and in the town and in other parts of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.

Thanks for looking :thumb

KirkleesCollage-HuddersfieldRoyalInfirmary-86017f.jpg

KirkleesCollage-HuddersfieldRoyalInfirmary-9fdeb0.jpg

KirkleesCollage-HuddersfieldRoyalInfirmary-3b64a2.jpg

KirkleesCollage-HuddersfieldRoyalInfirmary0d491.jpg

KirkleesCollage-HuddersfieldRoyalInfirmary-10bb933.jpg

KirkleesCollage-HuddersfieldRoyalInfirmary-537d12.jpg

KirkleesCollage-HuddersfieldRoyalInfirmary-191f15.jpg

KirkleesCollage-HuddersfieldRoyalInfirmary-20e933.jpg

KirkleesCollage-HuddersfieldRoyalInfirmary-7d8a98.jpg

KirkleesCollage-HuddersfieldRoyalInfirmary-4e8068.jpg

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No offence to you, it"s more an observation thing, but I wish those who visited this site would take a few minutes to actually move the Rusty Bed etc from where i set it up originally (although it was moved into another location to try & stop the people following, repeating identical shots)..........that worked well ;)

It was a staged shot, as was the Doctors Office & the Physio chairs and others, move them about & create your own interpretation. It"d look a lot better as a report rather than mimicking every report that"s followed.........Whatever happened to creativity :confused:

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Nicely done, thought it was a bit too trashed when I popped in last week but you have managed to make it look good :thumb

Whatever happened to creativity :confused:

I prefer the natural look, get pissed off when folk have made little shrines with anything interesting, so don't tend to move anything myself except if I can get the classic chair image in a beam of light :p

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely done, thought it was a bit too trashed when I popped in last week but you have managed to make it look good :thumb

I prefer the natural look, get pissed off when folk have made little shrines with anything interesting, so don't tend to move anything myself except if I can get the classic chair image in a beam of light :p

It was a heavy bed which is fair enough but it"s not like nobody has time to move stuff about in there is it ? I spent ages cleaning the place up and i don"t suffer OCD ;)

Should have thrown all the stuff out of the open windows :D Wonder where the Cow"s Fetus"s are now (not on my Mantlepiece)

A shrine in Huddersfield :confused:

jST

LLS.
Regular User
Good stuff, can't recall seeing those decorative balustrades before. Impressive.

Can I just say the columns are not identical to the Huddersfield railway station columns.

The columns at the station are of the Corinthian order. The ones at the college are Doric.

Architecture Snob.

It was a heavy bed which is fair enough but it"s not like nobody has time to move stuff about in there is it ? I spent ages cleaning the place up

I rarely read your posts as most of the time they make very little sense but you really staged all that shite? Jeez man... I thought that was only the preserve of the tob hatted urban """"artist"""" knobjockey and his cronies. Also, regarding creativity, surely that could be put down to how someone approaches and photographs what's already there, not dragging old beds around to make a shit derp look better than it is?

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Can I just say the columns are not identical to the Huddersfield railway station columns.

The columns at the station are of the Corinthian order. The ones at the college are Doric.

He's right

Hey @tweek what they doing with this site, pulling it down for flats ?

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Hey @tweek what they doing with this site, pulling it down for flats ?

I has been purchased by Wiggett Construction, so no doubt town houses full of toilets, a few small rooms masquerading as bedrooms and a kitchen/dinner/lounge. He usually just demolishes the old mills in Saddleworth/Oldham or concretes over the countryside, nice to see he has moved over the hills; long may he stay :D

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Last I heard flats weren't part of the proposals. I think Lidl wanted to move there so they had a bigger store with better access/parking. Site's massive though so think they'll have a job on getting a plan together.

It'll sit there doing fuck all for a bit longer like it has for the last 3 years. Horrible impression those blocks give on your town's ring road though. Always hated them.

Nadav

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Been inside here a fair few times, so much to be seen and a really interesting explore. I explored it thoroughly before it was robbed off all it coppers and other bits! Really worth a look round everything, have some great pictures from in here! Some really nice shots here mate, did you get a chance to look around any of the lofts within the building? They are all made up of rooms and walk ways very strange but definitely worth a mooch if you have a mask!