real time web analytics
Report - - Kirklees College/ Old Huddersfield Royal Infirmary - January 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kirklees College/ Old Huddersfield Royal Infirmary - January 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Kirklees College/ Old Huddersfield Royal Infirmary

1_zpstggglbrx.jpg

History

The Hospital was founded in 1831 & by 1929 special feature available included Turkish, Russian & medicated baths & electro-medical department. The Infirmary was also approved for the treatment of Venereal Diseases

New Road Campus has been home to its various named College incarnations since the 1967 when the College paid £105,000 for the site. New buildings were opened in 1967 with the main block being opened in 1971. By 1978 they were 8,000 Students attending the college.

The site which now consists of 10 linked buildings totalling 342,000 sq/ft over a 6.1 Acre site, which includes the original Grade 2 listed Hospital buildings, with its impressive original sandstone columns identical to those on the nearby Huddersfield Railway Station. With the statue of Edward the VII now looking over the car park.

The College has recently moved into a new purpose build waterfront development for £70M which will welcome 20K Students.

The old site has been purchased by Oldham based Wiggett Construction Company for an undisclosed sum Suggestions for the site include a Supermarket, a Care or Medical Centre, with the final potion un-allocated. The local Lidl has confirmed it will move to the new location from its local Castlegate site.

The former hospital building has being used for psychological thriller Extremis, starring David O’Hara (Braveheart, The Departed, Luther), Isabelle Allen (Les Miserables), Neil Pearson (Drop the Dead Donkey); and 1980s singer Toyah Wilcox.

Black Work; a drama starring acclaimed actress Sheridan Smith, was filmed last Autumn partly in the hospital and in the town and in other parts of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.

Also the drama Remember Me starring Michael Palin, Mark Addy and Julia Sawahla was partly filmed here where the building was transformed in to a hospital, care home and a police station as you can see on a few photos.

2_zpsgccfkn6u.jpg

My Visit

I'd seen a few reports on this place and it looked as if it worth popping in, it's a huge site and previous photos made it look interesting. Who ever said the camera never lies was obviously a liar! After picking my way through the assortment of needles and syringes I ended up inside the new section of the buildings.

My initial thoughts were "fuck me, this place is trashed!".

3_zpscis0rtq2.jpg

Well I'm here, so may as well have a mooch; hopefully the older part of the site will be in better nick. 70's style architecture and furnishings don't float my boat usually. There was the odd thing left intact, but in the main the buildings were empty.

4_zpsvaqc4p7c.jpg

One of the entrances into the college, at least this wasn't trashed (yet).

5_zpsmnzpjhft.jpg

From the sign on the wall in this area it must have been used as part of a film set of Remember Me.

12_zps1zdcieml.jpg

Trying to find a way to the old part of the site, the original hospital it became apparent just how trashed the place was. Roof tiles, walls and floors ripped up in the search of copper!

9_zpshg5yuvob.jpg

Finally something of interest, the staircase is one of the redeeming features of the site, still intact.

7_zpswqqnytrh.jpg

The old part was finally reached. This place like many hospitals and colleges are a labyrinth of passages and interconnecting rooms, each floor mirrors the previous and it's easy to get disorientated especially when there aren't many features to navigate by.

8_zpsmurudgve.jpg

Not sure what this was a model of, didn't look like the hospital/college? but I did pass it a few time so was glad I did have a reference point.

10_zpswesvyijs.jpg

Lots more passages, empty rooms and general crap. I was starting to get bored now. That was until the loud crashing and banging started!!

11_zps8vsdz8sd.jpg

Now seamed like a good time to make a sharp exit, a few minutes later I was back in this corridor again. The noise wasn't too far away, who knows - metal thieves? But there couldn't be much left in here to acquire! It could also have been another explorer/explorers after all not all are that stealthy. Whichever it was I didn't want to find out.

6_zpsltiq6831.jpg

I managed to get some distance between myself and the noise in the Time Out Cafe, this was very aptly named as I spent a fair bit of time here try to find a way back to where I started. This part of the building is a dead end I finally found out. After retracing my steps, passing the model I was back to the start and out of there.

Well that's my report, to be honest I could be bothered putting one up. The place is trashed, I didn't particularly enjoy the few hours I spent in there. Going through my photos on a wet day with nothing else to do I thought what the hell, like a dog pissing on a lamp post it says I've been if nowt else :D

Cheers,

TLR.

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Good stuff. It's big enough to make a decent report out of but I have to agree it's very trashed and not nicest walkabout.

Fudge

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The model is of the new college, strange for gypos to still be at it with this place.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I did say I'd made it look a lot better than it was (when I posted ;) although the write up improves it dramatically :thumb

Pity you seem to have missed the best bits , you'd best go back on one of the official Tours ;)

Not sure about Metal Fairies as theres only basically the rusty bed and the staircase left to take , although it's not a place where silence is easily managed with that level of destruction everywhere a Rat would have a hard time being quiet :D

Look forward too part 2

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
I did say I'd made it look a lot better than it was (when I posted ;) although the write up improves it dramatically :thumb

Pity you seem to have missed the best bits , you'd best go back on one of the official Tours ;)

Not sure about Metal Fairies as theres only basically the rusty bed and the staircase left to take , although it's not a place where silence is easily managed with that level of destruction everywhere a Rat would have a hard time being quiet :D

Look forward too part 2

I somehow doubt there will be a part 2 from me, thought it unlikely to be the metal fairies but didn't want to find out who it was. Added a bit of excitement to my mooch though :D

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
^acid... plank

Yeah, the model is of the new college building at Engine Bridge... 'Waterfront Quarter' they're calling it.

24803912226_a9bd6456a4_c.jpg

Last edited:

MadBeetle

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We were disappointed with this too, visited at night and spent a good 2 - 3 hours wondering the maze of corridors. Thankfully the signs and maps on the staircases are good to find your way around! Typical that the room with the bed was in the first part of the building we went into, just one more floor up!

We'd have probably enjoyed it if we hadn't had so much frustration of trying to find out way around the place! The pile of needles that we noticed on our way out made us quite uncomfortable too. Didn't notice them on the way in!

Nice report and photos though! Never bothered taking any of the 3 I took off of my camera haha