real time web analytics
Report - - Kit Mines, Cornwall - May 2011 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kit Mines, Cornwall - May 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

marmiteminer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I been looking around on this site for a bit now and not seen any reports or anything looking at the Kit Mines. I Know its down to me to show of my local play ground.

The Kit Hill United Mines (east Kit hill and south kit hill mines) The mine is rich in tin, copper, arsenic and wolfram and has long been worked for all these minerals and for that strong stuff cornish granite.

South Kit Hill Mine, worked in 1856, reached a depth of over 100m. Around the chimney are the remains of the engine house, with its flywheel slots and six circular 'buddles' where crushed rock was stirred to separate heavy tin ore from waste 'tailings'.

East Kit hill mine, Little is known about this mine, it worked in the early 1850s but closed in 1856 and reopened in 1870 to about 1909 and finish helping out the efforts in the first world war. The ruined engine house and stack are thought to have worked Cornish stamps for crushing ore. The mine produced some tin, arsenic and tungsten.

The only problem these day is the shafts are all over the hill some closed, some open. We had to entre the mine in a few places, but heres a few pictures from the day outing.

000.jpg

Working are way into the mine.

001.jpg

Drop down into a lower level.

002.jpg

Only means one thing?? Out comes the ropes!! :thumb
003.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

014.jpg

024.jpg

009.jpg

Top of the flooded shaft, not going down there. But the water looks Gooood!

025.jpg

Standing inside the load. Long way up.
016.jpg

019.jpg

017.jpg

026.jpg

Another way in to the mine. Ropes out!!:thumb

027.jpg

These are just a few pictures, a big mine for this area. But was a good laugh with the guys. Thank you for looking.

LONEWOLF1957

28DL Member
28DL Member
pictures are great, wouldn't mind having a go at that one meself, been there a few years ago, but sadly I don't drive now, and I'm in st. Austell, close to polgooth.

Last edited by a moderator: